- Title: Russia's Putin meets CoE Secretary General Jagland in Moscow
- Date: 6th December 2016
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 6, 2016) (AGENCY POOL) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN ENTERING ROOM FOR TALKS, SHAKING HANDS WITH COUNCIL OF EUROPE SECRETARY GENERAL THORBJORN JAGLAND MEDIA DELEGATIONS TAKING SEATS PUTIN'S PRESS SECRETARY DMITRY PESKOV (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "Russia is a member of this representative and universal international organisation for 20 years already." CAMERA OPERATORS (SOUNDBITE) (English) COUNCIL OF EUROPE SECRETARY GENERAL THORBJORN JAGLAND, SAYING: "Tensions have been increasing but I am very glad to say that the spirit of cooperation and dialogue has been upheld in the Council of Europe thanks to many." TALKS IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 21st December 2016 15:11
- Keywords: Russia Council of Europe Vladimir Putin Thorbjorn Jagland
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BQV9L3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian President Vladimir on Tuesday (December 6) met with the Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjorn Jagland in Moscow.
Jagland who is in Russia for a two-day visit got wishes of successful work from Putin.
Earlier on Tuesday Jagland met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and the country's parliament speaker Vyacheslav Volodin.
According to Russian TASS news agency Jagland and Volodin discussed prospective of Russia's return to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE).
TASS reported that Volodin told Jagland that Russia would resume its work in PACE only if the Assembly cancels its 'discriminatory measures against Russia'.
Russia was suspended from the parliamentary assembly of European human rights watchdog in 2014 in protest at Moscow's behaviour towards Ukraine and the annexation of Crimea.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None