- Title: Silicon Valley honors 2017 "Breakthroughs"
- Date: 5th December 2016
- Summary: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 4, 2016) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SIENNA MILLER ON THE RED CARPET BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD ON THE RED CARPET
- Embargoed: 20th December 2016 22:10
- Keywords: 2017 Breakthrough Prize Mark Zuckerberg Morgan Freeman Ann Wojcicki Susan Wokcicki Vin Diesel Yuri Milner Jeremy Irons
- Location: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BM0CBD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: It's not an exact scientific formula, but add a little bit of Hollywood glitz to a whole lot of brain power and you'll have a pretty good idea behind the premise of the "Breakthrough Prize" awards, which took place on Sunday (December 4) in San Francisco.
Hosted by Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman, the gala ceremony recognizes the world's top scientists.
"Because it really is creative work and is ground breaking work," explained actress Bryce Dallas Howard, on the common ground shared between acting and science. "It's creating something out of nothing. That is what science is."
The event, founded by Sergey Brin and Anne Wojcicki, Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan, and Yuri and Julia Milner, awarded 12 scientific researchers in the fields of Life Sciences (up to five per year), Fundamental Physics and Mathematics.
A combined total of 25 million dollars (USD) was awarded, with each of the Breakthrough Prizes worth 3 million, the largest individual monetary prize in science.
The ceremony is also an opportunity to let everyone know that you don't have to be a Hollywood action star to be a big deal.
"The idea of celebrating the scientist," said Vin Diesel. "The idea of celebrating the unsung heroes, and letting them know and letting the future scientist know that we all think their cool."
In addition, up to three New Horizons in Physics and up to three New Horizons in Mathematics Prizes are given out to junior researchers each year.
Since its inception in 2012, the Breakthrough Prize has awarded close to $200 million to honor paradigm-shifting research in the fields of fundamental physics, life sciences, and mathematics.
Singer Alicia Keys performed at the event.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None