- Title: Protesters outside Berlin's Russian embassy demand end to Aleppo bombings
- Date: 7th December 2016
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF RUSSIAN EMBASSY ON CENTRAL BERLIN'S UNTER DEN LINDEN BOULEVARD PROTESTERS WRAPPED IN SYRIAN FLAGS LINING UP ACROSS EMBASSY ENTRANCE, WEARING WHITE SHEETS TO READ "ALEPPO" RUSSIAN FLAG FLYING ATOP EMBASSY PROTESTERS DRESSED IN WHITE SHEETS TO READ "ALEPPO" MAN HOLDING UP PLACARD READING IN GERMAN "ALEPPO: PUTIN'S SHAME" WOMAN HOLDING UP PLACARD READING IN ENGLISH "PUTIN / RUSSIA - CRIMINAL OF WAR" MEN HOLDING BANNER PLACARD READING IN GERMAN "MASS MURDER IN ALEPPO - PUTIN'S SHAME" (SOUNDBITE) (English) 26-YEAR-OLD BERLIN TOUR GUIDE, LORNA CANNON, SAYING: "There is nothing more we can do but to stand on the street and say 'this has to end' because if war crimes are being committed, if the Geneva convention is being broken then we have to stand up for the people because it is not just affecting them, this is international law. And who is it going to be next? So that's why I am here." POLICEMAN STANDING IN FRONT OF CHANTING PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE) (German) 25-YEAR-OLD, LINDA MATTES, SAYING: "I feel angry but I also feel pretty helpless. I hope that something will finally change and that we don't fail all the time because of some veto." MEN HOLDING RED PLACARD READING IN GERMAN "PUTIN AND ASSAD ARE WAR CRIMINALS" SYRIAN FLAG BEING WAVED (SOUNDBITE) (German) 65-YEAR-OLD MEDICAL DOCTOR WHO HAS WORKED FOR THE GERMAN GOVERNMENT ON TURKISH-SYRIAN BORDER AND IN NORTHERN IRAQ, REINHARD JUNG-HECK, SAYING: "I am here to protest against the war crimes committed by Russia and Syria in Aleppo. We believe it's outrageous that the world is watching how mass killings are taking place and no one says anything." PROTESTERS HOLDING UP BANNER IN GERMAN "RUSSIA IS KILLING THE SYRIAN PEOPLE" (SOUNDBITE) (German) AMBASSADOR TO SYRIA'S OPPOSITION, THE SYRIAN NATIONAL COALITION (NSC), BASSAM ABDULLAH, SAYING: "We are here because the catastrophe in Aleppo is no longer justified with human reasoning. It is unacceptable that so many people are being systematically bombed and killed in front of the eyes of the international community." VARIOUS OF COUNTER-PROTEST ORGANISED BY PUTIN SUPPORTERS WOMAN CHANTING "LONG LIVE PUTIN" WIDE OF COUNTER-PROTEST AND PROTEST OUTSIDE RUSSIAN EMBASSY
- Embargoed: 22nd December 2016 14:13
- Keywords: Syria Aleppo demo protest Russia embassy Berlin
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BVUGXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Protesters gathered in front of the Russian embassy in Berlin on Wednesday (December 7) to demonstrate against Russian involvement in the bombing of Aleppo.
Some 200 people turned up to 'protest against war crimes' being 'committed by Russia and Syria in Aleppo.'
Syria's army and allies pushed into rebel-held parts of Aleppo's Old City on Tuesday, a monitoring group said, looking closer than ever to achieving their most important victory of the five-year-old civil war by driving rebels out of their last urban stronghold.
A rebel official said they would never abandon Aleppo, after reports that U.S. and Russian diplomats were preparing to discuss the surrender and evacuation of insurgents from territory they have held for years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None