- Title: Suicide car bomb in Somalia port kills 29 - police
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA (DECEMBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BLAST SCENE SIGN FOR MOGADISHU PORT VARIOUS OF RUBBLE/TREES DESTROYED TAPE CORDONING OFF AREA MEN CARRYING STRETCHER PEOPLE GATHERED (SOUNDBITE) (Somali) UNIDENTIFIED EYEWITNESS SAYING: "I came out of the sea port and sat down at a tea shop in front of it and huge explosions happened inside the kiosk near the police station. I was very shocked and laid down on the ground. I have got a slight injury on my head." MEN AT BACK OF VEHICLE MEN CLOSING BACK DOORS OF VEHICLE PEOPLE PICKING UP BODY AND MOVING IT AWAY VARIOUS OF TAPE CORDONING OFF AREA/RUBBLE SECURITY PERSONNEL AND PEOPLE GATHERED VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT BLAST SCENE
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 06:49
- Keywords: Somalia car bomb Mogadishu port attack explosion
- Location: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- City: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- Country: Somalia
- Reuters ID: LVA0015CFU4AV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:++ EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES ++
A suicide car bomb that went off at the entrance of Somalia's biggest port in its capital Mogadishu on Sunday (December 11) has killed 29, police said.
Bodies could be seen strewn outside the facility, in a street filled with rubble from damaged tea shops, according to Reuters witnesses.
Al Shabaab militant group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Mohamed Hussein, a port employee, told Reuters gunfire had followed the blast.
A port official, who did not want to be named, said activity at the port has been halted, while another employee, who also did not want to be named, said workers were sent home after the attack.
Al Shabaab's insurgency aims to drive out African Union peacekeepers, topple Somalia's western-backed government and impose its strict version of Islam on the Horn of Africa state.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None