- Title: Merkel says Germany to stick to 'one China' policy
- Date: 12th December 2016
- Summary: GERMAN AND CROATIAN FLAGS MERKEL AND PLENKOVIC GREETING STAFF / GOING INTO CHANCELLERY MERKEL AND PLENKOVIC ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE MEDIA WIDE OF NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We still stand by a 'one China' policy and we will not change our stance." MEDIA JOURNALIST TAKING NOTES PHOTOGRAPHER MERKEL AND PLENKOVIC SHAKING HANDS / LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 27th December 2016 14:37
- Keywords: Merkel China Taiwan One China
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA0035CKVO7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany will not change its "one China" policy, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday (December 12), distancing herself from comments by President-elect Donald Trump that the United States could reconsider its long-held policy that Taiwan is part of China.
"We still stand by a 'one China' policy and we will not change our stance," Merkel told a news conference with Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic when asked about Trump's remarks questioning nearly four decades of U.S. policy.
China said on Monday it was seriously concerned by Trump's comments, adding that cooperation was "out of the question" if Washington could not recognise Beijing's core interest on Taiwan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None