- Title: Supporters, opponents of Castro gather outside Cuban Embassy in Madrid
- Date: 26th November 2016
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (NOVEMBER 26, 2016) (REUTERS) SUPPORTERS OF CUBAN PRESIDENT FIDEL CASTRO GATHERING OUTSIDE THE CUBAN EMBASSY SUPPORTERS OF CASTRO CHANTING (Spanish): "LONG LIVE CUBA, FIDEL AND CHE" OPPONENT OF FIDEL CASTRO APPROACHING SUPPORTERS AND SHOUTING: (Spanish) "Fidel is an assassin!" CASTRO SUPPORTER CONFRONTING OPPONENT OF CASTRO / MEMBER OF SPANISH POLICE MEDIATING VARIOUS OF SUPPORTERS AND OPPONENTS OF CASTRO SHOUTING AT EACH OTHER POLICE ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUBAN EXILE, JUAN RAMON RIVERO, SAYING: "Down with Fidel Castro, live to free Cuba and freedom for those who are in jail in Cuba for telling the truth. It is time now for Cuba to become a democracy." SUPPORTERS OF CASTRO CHANTING (Spanish): "LONG LIVE CUBA, FIDEL AND CHE" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SUPPORTER OF FIDEL CASTRO, GREGORIO BENITO, SAYING: "I am sad for the commander's death. We all knew that this would happen some day but he has gained his place in history by his own right and what is going to happen now? The revolution will go on." SUPPORTERS OF FIDEL CASTRO OUTSIDE THE CUBAN EMBASSY WITH CUBAN FLAGS
- Embargoed: 11th December 2016 14:22
- Keywords: Spain Fidel Castrro Madrid Cuba Embassy reaction
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015A2YTL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Supporters of Fidel Castro gathered in Madrid on Saturday (November 26) to mourn the death of the revolutionary leader and were confronted by several Cuban exiles demanding democracy for the island nation.
Castro died on Friday (November 25) aged 90, his younger brother and successor Raul Castro announced on state television.
"Long live Cuba, Fidel and Che," supporters shouted as they held up Cuban flags outside the Cuban embassy.
But they were confronted by a group of Cuban exiles living in Madrid.
"Down with Fidel Castro, live to free Cuba and freedom for those who are in jail in Cuba for telling the truth. It is time now for Cuba to become a democracy," said Juan Ramon Rivero, who said he was brought to Madrid by the Spanish government as a part of the group of Cuban political prisoners freed by the Cuban government in 2010.
Spain is Cuba's third largest trading partner and the largest European investor in the country, its former colony.
Spain upset Cuba in 1996 by orchestrating the EU's "common position" making human rights and democracy conditions for improved economic relations.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None