- Title: Lufthansa's Eurowings cancels flights due to cabin crew strike
- Date: 22nd November 2016
- Summary: DUESSELDORF, GERMANY (NOVEMBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) SIGN SAYING WAGES HAVE NOT INCREASED IN 8 YEARS, PAN TO STRIKING CABIN CREW VARIOUS OF STRIKING CREW PUTTING ON STRIKE VESTS SIGN POINTING TO DEPARTURES STRIKING CABIN CREW HOLDING SIGNS SIGN READING (German): "Darling, I would like to have children,", "Darling, we can't afford them - I work for Eurowings." (SOUNDBITE) (German) UNION REPRESENTATIVE FOR NORTH RHINE WESTPHALIA, PETER BUEDDICKER, SAYING: "We have actually been in negotiations with Eurowings since summer. The wage negotiations started in July, we already had one strike and thought we were on the right path and were a little surprised when Eurowings backpedalled and said they no longer stood behind the things we had agreed at the negotiating table. So now it is back to our demands." VARIOUS OF DEPARTURES BOARD SHOWING CANCELLED FLIGHTS QUEUE OF PASSENGERS AT EUROWINGS COUNTER EUROWINGS WORKER AT CHECK-IN DESK PAN OVER LONG QUEUE FOR EUROWINGS COUNTER (SOUNDBITE) (German) KURT SPODEN, PASSENGER, SAYING: "The question is of course that is always at the cost of the travellers. If people had connecting flights in Berlin Tegel then the question is what it looks like there, will there be even longer queues there? Then I have to ask if we are even going to make our destination today, we wanted to go to Zagreb and we don't have a specific timeframe but it is eating into our holiday." LONG QUEUE AT EUROWINGS COUNTER PAN FROM PHONE TO BANNER FOR EUROWINGS (SOUNDBITE) (German) ALEXANDER KUERMANN, PASSENGER, SAYING: "You are saying the ticket prices will then be raised. I can't really say much if they haven't had a raise in 7 years then it probably is fair to expect a certain percentile increase. Whether it needs to be 7 percent, I would also like more!" QUEUE OF PASSENGERS, PAN TO SUITCASES
- Embargoed: 7th December 2016 08:51
- Keywords: Eurowings Lufthansa strike cabin crew Duesseldorf airport
- Location: DUESSELDORF, GERMANY
- City: DUESSELDORF, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA00159J0BBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lufthansa's budget carrier Eurowings cancelled more than 60 flights on Tuesday (November 22) due to a strike by cabin crew, according to its website.
The walkout, the result of a pay dispute with labour union Verdi, started at Duesseldorf and Hamburg airports at 5 am local time (0400 GMT) and is due to last until 8 pm.
Long-haul flights as well as connections with Germanwings, SunExpress and other partner airlines of Eurowings are not affected.
The strike is a prelude to a more damaging walkout by pilots due on Wednesday that will affect Lufthansa flights across Germany.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None