- Title: At least three dead in mall fire in Peru, days before global summit
- Date: 16th November 2016
- Summary: LIMA, PERU (NOVEMBER 16, 2016) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF SEASIDE MALL, SMOKE BILLOWING FROM BUSINESS SMOKE RISING SMOKE BILLOWING FROM BUSINESS FIREFIGHTERS ARRIVING ON THE SCENE GENERAL VIEW OF MAN WHO WAS AFFECTED BY THE FIRE SURROUNDED BY REPORTERS FIREFIGHTERS HELP MAN GET INTO AMBULANCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MALL EMPLOYEE ANGELA PACHON SAYING: "A gas cooker exploded inside the movie theatre area. That is what happened and that is what caused the fire." FIREFIGHTERS ENTERING BUILDING GENERAL VIEW OF POLICE GENERAL HUGO BEGAZO SPEAKING WITH HIS PEOPLE ON THE GROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) POLICE GENERAL HUGO BEGAZO SAYING: "We have found, sadly, four bodies. Two women and two men inside the theatre area." GENERAL VIEW OF FIREFIGHTERS FORENSIC INVESTIGATORS ARRIVING TO THE SCENE GENERAL VIEW OF HOTEL WHICH IS ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE MALL
- Embargoed: 1st December 2016 18:45
- Keywords: Peru fire mall summit
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA00158P44EB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least four people died in a fire at a popular seaside mall in Lima on Wednesday (November 16), fire officials said, ahead of a global summit bringing together presidents from the United States, Russia, China and other countries this week.
The cause was still unknown and firefighters were trying to rescue people from the Larcomar commercial centre, Miguel Eduardo Yi, a fire department chief in Lima, said.
According to mall employee Angela Pachon, the fire was located inside the movie theatre.
"A gas cooker exploded inside the movie theatre area. That is what happened and that is what caused the fire," she said.
Police General Hugo Begazo confirmed that four had died.
"We have found, sadly, four bodies. Two women and two men inside the theatre area," he said.
The British embassy in Lima, less than a block from the mall, was closed, officials said.
Images showed smoke billowing from Larcomar, the mall in the upscale district of Miraflores that is popular with tourists.
Peru is hosting the annual Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit this week, and world leaders are expected to arrive in the coming days.
U.S. President Barack Obama was scheduled to stay at a hotel in front of the mall, local media reported. The White House declined to comment.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None