- Title: Obama, Merkel underscore importance of free trade talks
- Date: 17th November 2016
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (NOVEMBER 17, 2016) (HOST BROADCASTER POOL) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ARRIVAL OF GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL AND U.S. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA AT NEWS CONFERENCE PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL SAYING: "We have come on a long way in the negotiations, they can't be completed now, but we will definitely hold onto what we have achieved so far, and I am sure that we will one day come back to it. Then, and I think I can say that, what brings us together is the common conviction that globalisation has to be done in a human way, it has to be done politically, and that there can be no going backwards to the times before globalisation - and that is why these efforts towards a trade agreement that is more than just a customs agreement are of such importance. I am glad that the EU and Canada agreement could be brought to a conclusion." MERKEL AND OBAMA IN NEWS CONFERENCE OBAMA LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL (PARTLY OVERLAID BY PICTURES OF PRESS CONFERENCE) SAYING: "Obviously I will do everything to work well with the new president, but today I would like to say thank you, thank you for a good, friendly and intensive cooperation." (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA SAYING: "And obviously at a moment when there are concerns about globalisation and the benefits that accrue to particular people, it is important that those negotiations and channels of communication remain. Because ultimately what we have shown over the last several decades is that markets and trade and commerce can create prosperity in all of our countries, that it is not a win-loose situation, but that it can be a win-win situation." WIDE OF MERKEL AND OBAMA (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA SAYING: "I reiterated our hope that the United Kingdom's negotiations over the exit from the European Union will be conducted in a smooth and orderly and transparent fashion and preserve as closely as possible the economic and political and security relationships between the UK and the EU. And I continue to believe what I said in Hanover, that the EU remains one of the world's great political and economic achievements and that those achievements should not be taken for granted." WIDE OF OBAMA AND MERKEL NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 2nd December 2016 17:19
- Keywords: Barack Obama Berlin farewell tour Angela Merkel Germany
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Government/Politics,International Trade
- Reuters ID: LVA00158U18P3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday (November 17) that both underscored the importance of continuing free trade negotiations between the United States and Europe.
Merkel said she was sure that the two countries would return to the stalled trade deal "one day."
She said Germany would do everything to work well with newly elected U.S. President Donald Trump, who has opposed the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).
Obama also addressed Britain's vote exit the European Union, saying he hoped the negotiations would be conducted in a smooth, orderly and transparent fashion.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None