- Title: Russian Economy Minister Ulyukayev detained over bribe
- Date: 15th November 2016
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FILE - OCTOBER 12, 2016) (REUTERS) RUSSIA ECONOMY MINISTER, ALEXEI ULYUKAYEV, SPEAKING ON SCREEN DURING THE RUSSIA CALLING BUSINESS FORUM (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIA ECONOMY MINISTER, ALEXEI ULYUKAYEV, SAYING: "A year ago we saw a deep downturn - it was 3.8 percent at this time of year, towards the end of the year 3.7 percent - a very deep downturn which affected all sectors of the economy, now starting August, we've seeing the opposite tendency - the first quarter -1.2 percent, the second quarter -0.6 percent, and so results for the first eight months -0.7, in August zero. August 2016 compared to August 2015 - 0. Starting from the fourth quarter the growth will gradually resume." ULYUKAYEV SPEAKING ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 30th November 2016 01:19
- Keywords: Russia Alexei Ulyukayev Rosneft Bashneft Moscow economy
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00158JZW3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian Economy Minister Alexei Ulyukayev has been detained over a $2-million bribe allegedly received for a "positive" assessment, which led to oil producer Rosneft acquiring a 50 percent stake in Bashneft, the country's Investigative Committee said on Tuesday (November 15).
He is the highest-ranked statesman in Russia arrested since the failed coup in 1991.
The Investigative Committee, which directly reports to President Vladimir Putin, said the investigation would put forward charges soon.
"Ulyukayev was detained at night, immediately after interrogation," an Investigative Committee official told Reuters.
It was not immediately clear, what exactly Ulyukayev, who has overseen massive government privatisation, has been accused of.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told TASS news agency that "this is a serious accusation".
"In any case, only a court is able to decide anything," he was quoted as saying.
Kremlin-controlled Rosneft bought 50 percent of Bashneft for 330 billion roubles ($5 billion) in October.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None