- Title: Hollande unveils plaques at bars targeted in November 13 attacks
- Date: 13th November 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 13, 2016) (AGENCY POOL) FRENCH PRESIDENT, FRANCOIS HOLLANDE, ARRIVING FOR COMMEMORATIVE CEREMONY WITH PARIS MAYOR, ANNE HIDALGO AT "LE CARILLON" CAFE AND "LE PETIT CAMBODGE" RESTAURANT HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO UNVEILING COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE COVERED BY FRENCH FLAG COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE READING (French): "IN MEMORY OF THE VICTIMS WOUNDED AND KILLED BY THE NOVEMBER 13, 2015 ATTACKS. TO THE 13 LIVES STOLEN IN THIS PLACE." / NAMES OF VICTIMS HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO LISTENING TO NAMES OF DECEASED BEING READ ALOUD HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO PLACING WREATH UNDER PLAQUE SECURITY AND EMERGENCY SERVICES OBSERVING MINUTE'S SILENCE BYSTANDERS AND EMERGENCY SERVICES WAITING FOR HOLLANDE TO ARRIVE TO UNVEIL NEXT PLAQUE HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO ARRIVING / HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO UNVEILING PLAQUE NEAR TO "A LA BONNE BIERE" CAFE HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO OBSERVING MINUTE'S SILENCE, FRENCH PRIME MINISTER, MANUEL VALLS, FRENCH NATIONAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT, CLAUDE BARTOLONE, FRENCH JUSTICE MINISTER, JEAN-JACQUES URVOAS AND FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, BERNARD CAZENEUVE, IN BACKGROUND CARS IN STREET VALLS ARRIVING WITH STATE SECRETARY IN CHARGE OF VICTIMS OF ATTACKS, JULIETTE MEADEL (LEFT) AND BARTOLONE VALLS AND BARTOLONE STANDING IN STREET HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO ARRIVING FOR NEW PLAQUE UNVEILING AT THE "COMPTOIR VOLTAIRE" / HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO UNVEILING PLAQUE PLAQUE READING (French): "IN MEMORY OF THE VICTIMS OF THE NOVEMBER 13, 2015 ATTACKS" HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO LOOKING AT PLAQUE HOLLANDE SPEAKING TO VICTIMS' LOVED ONES AND STANDING NEXT TO PRESIDENT OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR VICTIMS "13ONZE15", GEORGES SALINES (RIGHT, BLACK HAT), WHOSE DAUGHTER LOLA WAS KILLED AT THE BATACLAN PEOPLE WAITING FOR NEXT PLAQUE UNVEILING HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO UNVEILING PLAQUE NEAR "LA BELLE EQUIPE" BISTRO HOLLANDE AND HIDALGO PLACING WREATH UNDER PLAQUE PLAQUE READING (French): "IN MEMORY OF THE VICTIMS WOUNDED AND KILLED IN THE NOVEMBER 13, 2015 ATTACKS. TO THE 21 LIVES STOLEN"
- Embargoed: 28th November 2016 09:50
- Keywords: Francois Hollande bars November 13 attacks Islamic State Paris La Belle Equipe Le Petit Cambodge Le Carillon Café Bonne Bière Casa Nostra Comptoir Voltaire
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00158A0LS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French President Francois Hollande and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo unveiled a series of commemorative plaques on Sunday (November 11) at each of the bars and cafes targeted by Islamist militants one year ago in Paris.
In all, 130 people were killed on November 13, 2015 when groups of gunmen and suicide bombers attacked the perimeter of the Stade de France sports stadium, the Bataclan and a string of six bars and cafes: La Belle Equipe, Le Petit Cambodge, Le Carillon, A la Bonne Biere, Casa Nostra, and Le Comptoir Voltaire.
Hollande and Hidalgo unveiled four plaques in memory of the victims of the attacks starting with "Le Carillon" and "Le Petit Cambodge" where 13 people were killed when gunmen opened fire with AK-47 rifles, followed by "A la Bonne Biere" where five patrons died in a hail of bullets, "Le Comptoir Voltaire" where Brahim Abdeslam, brother of living suspect Salah Abdeslam, blew himself up and ending with "La Belle Equipe" where 20 people were killed.
The ceremony was also attended by the victims' loved-ones as well as several French government officials such as Prime Minister Manuel Valls and Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.
Since the attacks, the bars and cafes have gradually reopened since December 2015.
Responsibility for the killings was claimed by the Islamic State group, which has called on its followers to attack France due to its involvement in the fight against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None