- Title: Syria's army takes back areas of Aleppo
- Date: 13th November 2016
- Summary: MINIAN AND DAHIYET AL-ASSAD IN WESTERN ALEPPO, SYRIA (NOVEMBER 13, 2016) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) CITY LANDSCAPE / FIRE FROM EXPLOSION / LARGE PLUME OF SMOKE RISING THREE MEN IN UNIFORM WITH GUNS RUNNING / SOUND OF EXPLOSION MAN IN UNIFORM WITH A GUN WALKING PAST RUBBLE AND DAMAGED BUILDINGS VARIOUS OF BADLY DAMAGED BUILDINGS PLUME OF THICK, BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM BEHIND BUILDING / SOUND OF GUNFIRE VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING / CITY SKYLINE / SOUND OF EXPLOSIONS SOUNDS OF GUNFIRE AND EXPLOSIONS / SMOKE IN DISTANCE DAMAGED BUILDINGS WITH GUNFIRE IN THE BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF BADLY DAMAGED BUILDINGS / LARGE PILES OF RUBBLE DAMAGED TANK VARIOUS OF CITY SKYLINE / LARGE PLUMES OF SMOKE HUGE PLUME OF BLACK SMOKE / GUNFIRE SOUNDS IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 28th November 2016 15:17
- Keywords: Syria Aleppo fighting regime rebels
- Location: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- City: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00158A1ZK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Members of the Syrian Army on Sunday (November 13) are pressing on with their efforts to take full control of Minian and Dahiyet al-Assad in western Aleppo.
The Syrian army launched air strikes on positions belonging to Jaish al Fatih, who have been fighting fiercely to prevent government forces from taking over the two areas.
Video footage obtained by Reuters showed badly damaged buildings along with huge clouds of smoke resulting from the clashes, and the sound of gunfire and explosions could be heard sporadically in the background.
The Syrian army made advances in the Dahiyet al-Assad district of western Aleppo on Saturday (November 12), reversing all the gains made by rebels two weeks into their counter-attack against government-held areas, a war monitor and a rebel official said.
Syrian government forces launched a major Russian-backed assault on eastern Aleppo in September after besieging the area, which the United Nations says is home to 275,000 people.
On October 28, rebels counter-attacked in a bid to break the siege, targeting western districts of Aleppo in an offensive that included Islamist militants and rebels fighting under the Free Syrian Army banner. But their progress slowed after early advances.
Aleppo has become the most intense front in the war between President Bashar al-Assad, helped by Iran, Shi'ite militias and Russian air power, against mostly Sunni rebels groups, some backed by Turkey, the United States and Gulf monarchies.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None