- Title: Peshmerga forces capture the town of Bashiqa
- Date: 9th November 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PESHMERGA FORCES DANCING AND SINGING
- Embargoed: 24th November 2016 12:51
- Keywords: Iraq Bashiqa Islamic State Mosul Peshmerga
- Location: BASHIQA, IRAQ
- City: BASHIQA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00257Q6B7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Peshmerga forces drove Islamic State out of Bashiqa, east of Mosul, on Wednesday (November 9), but warned the residents who had fled the town not to rush back as roads and houses might be riddled with explosives.
The 2,000-strong forces of Peshmerga drove the militants from the town, which lies on the Nineveh plains some 15 km (10 miles) from Mosul.
Islamic State snipers suicide car bombs slowed down the advance of the fighters who entered the town's outskirts on Monday (November 7), but head of the peshmerga forces, said the town was now under the control of his troops.
"Now the town of Bashiqa has completely been cleansed from Daesh (Islamic State). We ask the residents of Bashiqa not to rush back as there still might be homes that have explosives, or roads that have explosives," Lieutenant General Jamal Mohammed Omar said.
Omar also commented on the U.S elections. "We hope that the United States of America will continue to support the peshmerga forces and the Kurdistan region," he said.
Armed U.S. soldiers, part of a 5,000-strong force Washington says is advising and supporting the Iraqi offensive, were accompanying the Peshmerga as they entered Bashiqa streets full of damaged houses, some with entire floors collapsed and prepared to carry out house-to-house searches to make sure no militants or booby traps remained in the town.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.