- Title: Violinist Gidon Kremer delights Jordanians with his Kremerata Baltica orchestra
- Date: 9th November 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF KREMERATA BALTICA AND KREMER PERFORMING ORCHESTRA MEMBERS TAKING A BOW AT THE END
- Embargoed: 24th November 2016 11:34
- Keywords: Kremerata Baltica orchestra Jordan violinist Gidon Kremer
- Location: Amman, JORDAN
- City: Amman, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA00557PZUXH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Classical music fans in Amman were treated to an evening of Mozart, Schubert and Tchaikovsky by the Kremerata Baltica Chamber Orchestra on Tuesday (November 8).
The performance was part of a world tour to more than 35 cities across five continents. The tour will mark founder Gidon Kremer's 70th birthday and the 20th anniversary of the orchestra's inception.
Kremer said that music has the power to overcome division.
"Music has a wonderful role. It can unite people, it can build bridges. Music has never anything in common with anger or with conflicts. Music is about peace and harmony so what we are trying to distribute or to project is how wonderful life can be and any conflicts can be resolved in a peaceful way. So our presence here is just a sign that we support the idea of peace."
Kremer is acknowledged as one of the world's finest violinists of this century. He was born in Riga, Latvia, when it was under the rule of the Soviet Union. He studied violin, along with the legendary violinist David Oistrakh at Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory.
He selected young composers from the three Baltic States -- Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia -- for the Grammy Award-winning orchestra.
The performance was organised by Friends of Jordan Festivals. Its executive director said the festival wanted to introduce classical music to younger generations which prefer other genres of music.
"To be honest, young people are interested these days in rock music and alternative music as well as the music that we call youth music, far from classical music. Classical music has a great importance in educating people's soul and their culture and we try to bring the love of classical music to the hearts of our growing generation,'' Souha Bawab said.
Friends of Jordan Festivals was established in March 2010 by a group of individuals passionate about arts and music.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.