- Title: France can provide safe Games in 2024, says Hollande
- Date: 2nd October 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 2, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF ELYSEE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) PRESIDENT, THOMAS BACH, STEPPING OUT OF CAR AND GREETING FRENCH PRESIDENT, FRANCOIS HOLLANDE / BACH AND HOLLANDE SHAKING HANDS FOR PICTURES FRENCH SPORTS MINISTER, PATRICK KANNER, ARRIVING PARIS 2024 SUMMER OLYMPIC BID COMMITTEE ARRIVING: (FROM LEFT) FRENCH OLYMPIC CHAMPION, GUY DRUT, FRENCH JUNIOR SPORT MINISTER, THIERRY BRAILLARD AND PRESIDENT OF THE REGIONAL COUNCIL OF ILE-DE-FRANCE, VALERIE PECRESSE / PRESIDENT OF THE FRENCH NATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (LEFT, PINK TIE), DENIS MASSEGLIA, AND PARIS MAYOR, ANNE HIDALGO PARIS 2024 CO-CHAIRMAN AND TRIPLE OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALLIST, TONY ESTANGUET, AND REST OF BID COMMITTEE BEING GREETED BY HOLLANDE STATUE ON ELYSEE PALACE WALL (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, FRANCOIS HOLLANDE, SAYING: "We also want to remind you, but you know it, that France is able to host big events, most recently with the Euro 2016. We made a list - we were able to organise some 40 world and European championships across all sports these past years. We have the savoir faire and the technology for big events but we can also ensure appropriate safety."
- Embargoed: 17th October 2016 13:25
- Keywords: France Hollande Thomas Bach International Olympic Committee Olympics summer Paris bid 2024 IOC
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: PARIS, FRANCE / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: France
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00152B9PHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Should Paris be selected to host the 2024 Olympics, France is well equipped to stage a safe Games because of the security measures that are in place after the recent terror attacks, president Francois Hollande said on Sunday (October 2).
Los Angeles and Budapest are the only other candidates left in the running to host the 2024 Games after Virginia Raggi pulled the plug on Rome's bid shortly after being elected mayor of the Italian capital. Boston and Hamburg had already abandoned their bids.
"We also want to remind you, but you know it, that France is able to host big events, most recently with the Euro 2016. We made a list - we were able to organise some 40 world and European championships across all sports these past years. We have the savoir faire and the technology for big events but we can also ensure appropriate safety," Hollande said as he welcomed International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach at the Elysee Palace.
France has been struck by a series of attacks in the past 20 months, with 130 being killed in coordinated assaults claimed by the Islamic State in Paris on Nov. 13 last year before a truck attacker killed 84 in Nice on Bastille Day this year.
The head of state added that the outcome of future elections, starting with next year's presidential election, would have no bearing on the candidacy after which he handed Bach a special gift -- the flag of the 1924 Paris Olympics.
Bach praised the work done so far after receiving a tour of the French National Institute of Sport and Physical Education (INSEP) on Saturday as he visits the capital to meet the Paris 2024 Olympic Games organising committee.
The bid is spearheaded by French former athletes including triple Olympic champion canoeist, Tony Estanguet. Bach said he was charmed by the unity of Paris' athletes and their commitment to the bid.
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo has promised that new sports facilities and housing developments in Paris's outer ring would leave a lasting legacy, and that the games proposal tapped into the desire for more sober, ecological propositions from the IOC.
Several events would take place at prestigious venues such as the Stade de France (athletics), Roland Garros (tennis) and the Bercy Arena (basketball).
Temporary structures would be situated in historic locations, with equestrian events being held at the Palace of Versailles and beach volleyball at the foot of the Eiffel Tower.
Paris last hosted the Games in 1924 having lost out to Barcelona (1992), Beijing (2008) and London (2012).
The host city will be elected in Lima on September 13, 2017.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None