- Title: Pope Francis departs for visit to Georgia and Azerbaijan
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (SEPTEMBER 30, 2016) (REUTERS) PAPAL PLANE ON TARMAC VATICAN AND ITALIAN FLAGS ON PLANE TRAVELLING MEDIA GETTING ON PLANE SECURITY AROUND PLANE CAR CARRYING POPE FRANCIS ARRIVING POPE FRANCIS EXITING CAR / GREETING DIGNITARIES POPE FRANCIS HOLDING BRIEFCASE VARIOUS OF POPE FRANCIS GREETING DIGNITARIES VARIOUS OF POPE FRANCIS CLIMBING STAIRWAY ONTO PLANE HELICOPTER POPE FRANCIS GREETING HOSTESSES AT ENTRANCE OF PLANE / POPE FRANCIS GREETING MEDIA AND GETTING ON PLANE VARIOUS OF PAPAL PLANE VARIOUS OF PLANE ROLLING ON TARMAC PAPAL PLANE TAKING OFF
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 09:49
- Keywords: pope francis georgia azerbaijan
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA00151R9LJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Pope Francis left Italy on Friday (September 30) for a three-day visit to Georgia and Azerbaijan.
The Vatican has said the trip to the region aims to bring a message of peace to areas rocked by border tensions.
The pope will stay in Georgia until Sunday (October 2) morning.
In Azerbaijan the pope will visit the capital Baku and call for an end to conflict in Nagorno Karabakh. Roman Catholics are a minority in both Caucasus countries.
Azerbaijan is about 95 percent Muslim while over 80 percent of Georgians are Eastern Orthodox Christians.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None