- Title: Mourinho credits hard work for United's win over Zorya
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (SEPTEMBER 29, 2016) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) ZORYA COACH, YURIY VERNYDUB, SAYING: (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION) "I was very happy with the game and my guys. We played at the same level as Manchester United and considering Manchester United is a world class team and we are just Zorya and we didn't play any worse than them. So I'm very happy." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) ZORYA COACH, YURIY VERNYDUB, SAYING: (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION) "I think we were playing well and we did not give Manchester United a chance to realise all of their opportunities and I think in my eyes the game was a draw because the goal that was scored was bit of a silly goal." WHITE FLASH VERNYDUB LEAVING AT END OF NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 08:04
- Keywords: Mourinho Manchester United Europa League Zorya
- Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00951RBTBZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Manchester United needed the intervention of Zlatan Ibrahimovic to beat Zorya 1-0 in the Europa League on Thursday (September 29).
Ibrahimovic, who turns 35 on Monday (October 3), headed home a second-half winner to see off the Ukrainian outfit.
United manager Jose Mourinho had signalled his intentions by picking a strong side that also featured world record signing Paul Pogba, Juan Mata and Marcus Rashford.
He was rewarded with a third consecutive win in all competitions to lift the mood at the club after they had previously suffered three straight losses.
"We deserved to win, we tried to win but it was difficult," Mourinho said. "They were very well organised defensively as we expect and they to delay, delay, delay which they did and they kept always the danger they had in the wingers, in their counter-attack. So the game was difficult. So we had to play, I won't say amazingly well because we didn't but we had to play well to win."
Meanwhile, Mourinho has described next month's fixture list as a "poisoned gift". After the international break, United travel to Liverpool on October 17, host Turkish club Fenerbahce in the Europa League three days later before travelling to Chelsea for a league fixture on October 23.
"We don't have the best conditions because we play against two top Premier League teams who don't have European competition. We have this poisoned gift with playing on the Monday which gives us a very difficult situation."
When asked if he tried to move United's top flight clash with Liverpool back from Monday, Mourinho said: "I think it's impossible, the poisoned gift is already there. We just have to play Monday, Thursday and then the Sunday.
"But before that we have Stoke, so let us concentrate on Stoke because it is another poisoned gift because Stoke is not what the table says," he added of Sunday's (October 2) struggling league opponents at Old Trafford.
United sit third in Europa League Group A after two matches, having lost to Dutch side Feyenoord in their opening game.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None