- Title: Thousands of police secure Shimon Peres's funeral
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: JERUSALEM (SEPTEMBER 30, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE FORCE ARRIVING ON SITE POLICE FORCE BEING BRIEFED VARIOUS FEMALE POLICEWOMEN BEING BRIEFED MORE OF SECURITY FORCE ON SITE POLICE OFFICERS ARRIVING VARIOUS OF POLICE FORCES ON SITE CLOSE OF GUN POLICEMEN LISTENING SECURITY FORCES BEING BRIEFED
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 05:10
- Keywords: Israel Shimon Peres funeral Security
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00151R9Y6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands of Israeli security forces deployed in and around Jerusalem and main roads were blocked on Friday (September 30) as Israel prepared to lay to rest former President and elder statesman Shimon Peres.
Peres, one of Israel's founding fathers who developed its vaunted armed forces and presumed nuclear capabilities before sharing a Nobel Prize for peacemaking with the Palestinians, died on Wednesday (September 28) at 93 after suffering a stroke.
Police spokesperson Mickey Rosenfeld said on Thursday (September 29) it was "one of the largest" police operations in Jerusalem in recent years.
He added that more than 7,500 police officers including special patrol units, undercover units and border police were involved in the operation.
Dozens of world leaders, including United States President Barack Obama and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas are expected to attend Peres' funeral.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None