- Title: Peru's shamans have mixed outlook on U.S. presidential election
- Date: 27th October 2016
- Summary: LIMA, PERU (OCTOBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SHAMAN PERFORMING RITUAL OVER POSTERS OF U.S. REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE DONALD TRUMP AND HIS DEMOCRATIC RIVAL HILLARY CLINTON (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SHAMAN, JOSE LUIS VALENCIA, SAYING: "I'm seeing that in the end something tricky, embarrassing and negative will come up for Clinton, so I see there are changes with people going towards him. I see a man in the elections and Trump will win." MORE OF RITUAL SHAMAN, MANUEL ACOSTA, POURING BEER ON TRUMP POSTER VARIOUS MORE OF RITUAL, SHAMAN THROWING ROSE PETALS ON CLINTON POSTER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SHAMAN, MANUEL ACOSTA, SAYING: "I have, we have visualized with other colleagues, that Hillary Clinton will be the winner comfortably. She will triumph." TAROT READER WITH CUSTOMER VARIOUS OF ESOTERIC PERFORMING RITUAL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ESOTERIC, LIBRANA, SAYING: "The tarot tells me that Hillary is the one. The star is guiding her and there are lot of possibilities she will be the next president." VARIOUS OF SHAMANS PERFORMING RITUAL WITH MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS EXTERIOR BUILDINGS IN BARRANCO DISTRICT WHERE RITUALS ARE PERFORMED
- Embargoed: 11th November 2016 17:15
- Keywords: Shamans Peru US presidential election predictions
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA00155S84EF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The polls may be pointing towards Hillary Clinton, but Peruvian mystics aren't so sure. A Lima-based Peruvian shaman and esoteric predicted on Thursday (October 25) Democrat Hillary Clinton, rather than Donald Trump, will win the U.S. presidency, while one shaman disagreed and said he saw Trump winning.
Playing Andean musical instruments and waving a sword, a medicine man chanted and focused his attention on photographs of U.S. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton during a ritual.
The healer performed a ritual over the posters.
Shaman Jose Luis Valencia said he thought Trump would be successful in the race for the White House.
"I'm seeing that in the end something tricky, embarrassing and negative will come up for Clinton, so I see there are changes with people going towards him. I see a man in the elections and Trump will win," Valencia said.
The Republican candidate has struggled with difficulties including allegations of sexual misconduct and his suggestion he may not honour the outcome of the election.
A Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday (October 26) and conducted from Oct. 20 to Oct. 24 found that 41 percent of Republicans expected Clinton to win the Nov. 8 election, versus 40 percent who picked Trump.
That reflected a sharp decline in confidence from last month, when 58 percent of Republicans said they thought their party's nominee would win, versus 23 percent who expected Clinton to prevail.
Shaman, Manuel Acosta, is with her.
"I have, we have visualized with other colleagues, that Hillary Clinton will be the winner comfortably. She will triumph," Acosta said.
So did esoteric, Librana.
"The tarot tells me that Hillary is the one. The star is guiding her and there are lot of possibilities she will be the next president," she said.
The prayers and predictions of Peru's shamans have become a widely noted tradition among Peruvians.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None