- Title: Emergency workers help thousands left homeless by earthquake
- Date: 27th October 2016
- Summary: VILLA DI SANT'ANTONIO, ITALY (OCTOBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) EMERGENCY WORKERS CHECKING BUILDINGS FOR DAMAGE NEXT TO COLLAPSED HOUSE VARIOUS EMERGENCY WORKER WITH ALSATIAN SNIFFER DOG SEARCHING PILE OF RUBBLE SNIFFER DOG RUNNING DOWN PILE OF RUBBLE EMERGENCY WORKERS ON STREET WITH SNIFFER DOG WALKING PAST COLLAPSED BUILDINGS SNIFFER DOG CLIMBING RUBBLE TO CHECK FOR ANY SIGNS OF LIFE DAMAGED PAINTING IN RUBBLE OF COLLAPSED CHURCH COLLAPSED SAN SALVATORE CHURCH AND BELLTOWER DAMAGED PAINTING IN RUBBLE OF CHURCH TWO WOMEN CARRYING BLANKETS AND PILLOWS VISSO, ITALY (OCTOBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) MILITARY CAMP WITH TENTS SOLDIERS OUTSIDE TENTS CARE CENTRE FOR HOMELESS RESIDENTS IN MILITARY CAMP VARIOUS HOMELESS RESIDENTS SEATED EATING LUNCH WOMAN EATING TUNA OUT OF A TIN ITALIAN AND RED CROSS FLAGS FLYING IN CENTRE WOMEN SEATED IN CAMP (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) LOCAL RESIDENT, SILVESTRA GENTILE, SAYING: "Everywhere is unreachable. When I went into my house with the firemen, I felt really bad, I collected some belongings and came out. But that's the situation. Last night I slept in the car, and tonight I will do the same - we've no choice." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) LOCAL RESIDENT, SERGIO ALBRIZZI, SAYING: "My house is almost completely destroyed. It was still OK after the 7pm earthquake, but soon after it was impossible to enter." (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) CAPTAIN ANDREA CARRERA SAYING: "From breakfast-time this morning we distributed food to all the people, now we are distributing lunch, around 500 meals have been given out and we are also preparing the dinner for this evening." SOLDIERS IN FIELD KITCHEN BOXES OF FOOD/PEOPLE IN CAMP SOLDIERS PREPARING FOOD IN FIELD KITCHEN SOLDIER SORTING THROUGH BOX OF PASTA/SOLDIERS IN FIELD KITCHEN SOLDIERS DRAINING PASTA IN FIELD KITCHEN SOLIDER HANDING BOX OVER FENCE TO WOMAN
- Embargoed: 11th November 2016 15:13
- Keywords: Italy quake damage emergency workers lunch soldiers
- Location: VISSO AND VILLA DI SANT'ANTONIO, ITALY
- City: VISSO AND VILLA DI SANT'ANTONIO, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA00155S7M87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Emergency workers came out in force on Thursday (October 27) to assist the thousands of residents left homeless by the earthquakes that struck central Italy overnight.
Despite widespread damage in many towns there were no reports of anyone killed or buried under the rubble although sniffer dogs were being used to check through the piles of debris left by destroyed buildings.
The three main overnight quakes came about two hours apart. Close to Visso, the rose-windowed facade of a late 14th century church, San Salvatore, was reduced to rubble.
The first tremor measured magnitude 5.4, causing many people to flee their homes and the second was stronger at 6.1, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
A 4.9 aftershock came a couple hours after that, and dozens of weaker ones followed.
Soldiers set up a solidarity centre and provided meals for those left homeless, whilst fire men escorted residents to any buildings that were evaluated as being safe enough to enter to collect belongings.
Many residents spent the night in their cars, and were planning to do the same again.
The government said it set aside 40 million euros ($44 million) during a cabinet meeting on Thursday for immediate costs related to the earthquakes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None