- Title: Calais Jungle camp clearance accomplished, prefect says
- Date: 26th October 2016
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 26, 2016) (REUTERS) REGIONAL PREFECT, FABIENNE BUCCIO, SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (French) REGIONAL PREFECT, FABIENNE BUCCIO, SAYING: "Our mission is accomplished. We toured (the camp) this morning, there were no more migrants inside the camp on the moor. We have already, now as I'm speaking to you, processed over 5,000 people who came through the the registration centre. We will of course continue all day until tonight. As long as there migrants, they will be taken in. So we'll finish when it is suitable so as to take everyone in but tonight we will close the registration centre because the work will be done." BUCCIO SPEAKING TO MEDIA
- Embargoed: 10th November 2016 14:50
- Keywords: Fabienne Buccio Calais France migrants refugees camp Jungle dismantling demolition evacuation
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155N88JR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French authorities on Wednesday (October 26) finished clearing the "Jungle", a squalid shanty town built outside the port of Calais by thousands of migrants desperately seeking a passage to Britain, and expected to disperse the last of its inhabitants around France within hours.
The operation mostly passed off peacefully, although some tents and shelters were torched in a last gesture of defiance as the refugees saw their hopes of a new life in Britain vanish.
"Our mission is accomplished. We toured (the camp) this morning, there were no more migrants inside the camp on the moor," Calais' regional prefect Fabienne Buccio said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None