- Title: Police say no evidence that residents drove migrant to a suicide
- Date: 23rd October 2016
- Summary: SCHMOELLN, GERMANY (OCTOBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) TOWN SIGN AND APARTMENT BUILDING SIGN READING (German) "NICE VIEWS" AND PAN TO APARTMENT BUILDING PEOPLE WALKING INTO BUILDING CITIZEN OF THE REICH ("REICHSBUERGER") (NATIONALISTIC GERMAN MOVEMENT THAT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE MODERN GERMANY) FLAG ON BALCONY BALCONY WITH FLAG APARTMENT BUILDING VARIOUS OF WINDOW FROM WHERE MIGRANT IS BELIEVED TO HAVE JUMPED APARTMENT BUILDING
- Embargoed: 7th November 2016 14:36
- Keywords: Schmoelln migrant suicide Somali
- Location: SCHMOELLN, GERMANY
- City: SCHMOELLN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155863PJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: There is no indication that onlookers or residents shouted "Jump!" before a teenage migrant jumped from an apartment block in the eastern German town of Schmoelln, suffering fatal injuries, Thuringia police said on Sunday (October 23).
The shift leader of the regional police headquarters in Erfurt, Stefan Erbse, said that neither the police nor fire-fighters at the scene heard anyone encouraging the migrant to commit suicide.
German TV channel MDR reported on Friday (October 21) that a teenage Somalian jumped to his death from a fifth floor window, after residents apparently had verbally encouraged him to do so.
The police said that when the officers arrived at the scene the young Somalian, who was in psychiatric care, was sitting still on the window ledge. Despite all efforts, the Somalian then jumped and died of serious injuries, Schmoelln mayor has said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None