- Title: Islamic State positions bombarded near Mosul
- Date: 22nd October 2016
- Summary: KARAMLESS, EAST OF MOSUL, IRAQ (OCTOBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BLACK PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING ABOVE BUILDINGS IN DISTANCE MILITARY VEHICLES MOVING IN CONVOY ALONG ROAD IN DISTANCE THROUGH HEAVILY DAMAGED AREA
- Embargoed: 6th November 2016 10:01
- Keywords: Batnaya Karamless Mosul Iraq Islamic State assault attack
- Location: TEL ASQOF AND BATNAYA, NORTH OF MOSUL AND KARAMLESS, EAST OF MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: TEL ASQOF AND BATNAYA, NORTH OF MOSUL AND KARAMLESS, EAST OF MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0025534UVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Iraqi army bombarded Islamic State positions to the north and east of Mosul on Saturday (October 22) as part of a wider offensive to retake the city.
Iraqi forces battled to retake the Assyrian Christian villages of Tel Asqof and Batnaya north of Mosul, and Karamless which lies to the city's east.
Villages neighbouring Tel Asqof and Batnaya were seized by Islamic State in August 2014, prompting the residents to flee.
On Saturday the Iraqi army launched another operation to take Qaraqosh, a Christian town about 20 km (13 miles) southeast of Mosul, which was also emptied of its population in 2014.
The army is also trying to advance on Mosul from the south while Kurdish Peshmerga fighters are holding fronts in the east and north of the city.
The offensive that started on Monday (October 17) to capture Mosul is backed by the U.S.-led coalition. It is expected to become the biggest battle fought in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None