- Title: Clinton tweets out Trump comments on former Miss Universy Alicia Machado
- Date: 27th September 2016
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - JANUARY 28, 1997) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MACHADO DOING JUMP ROPE DONALD TRUMP LOOKING AT MACHADO EXERCISING MACHADO FEET JUMPING OVER ROPE MEDIA AT EVENT MACHADO ON FLOOR MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ALICIA MACHADO SAYING: "I might be a little big fatter because I don't eat Kellogg's." REPORTER OFF CAMERA: "You're not eating tacos or anything like that are you?" MACHADO: "No, no, no. (Laughs)"
- Embargoed: 12th October 2016 20:45
- Keywords: Donald Trump Hillary Clinton Alicia Machado Miss Universe
- Location: HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / INTERNET / NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / INTERNET / NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00351CGU2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton on Tuesday (September 27) continued to blast Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump after a forceful performance in the first of three scheduled presidential debates ahead of the Nov. 8 election.
Clinton, the first woman to win the presidential nomination of a major U.S. political party, seemed to pique Trump during Monday night's debate when she brought up during the debate how Trump has insulted women. She pointed to Alicia Machado, who won the 1996 Miss Universe title, saying Trump had repeatedly insulted her.
"He loves beauty contests, supporting them and hanging around them and he called this one 'Miss Piggy' and then he called her 'Miss Housekeeping'," she said.
Trump, former owner of the Miss Universe pageants, was asked on Tuesday morning about Clinton's comments. He defended his insults of the Venezuelan-born woman who is now a U.S. citizen.
"She was the winner and she gained a massive amount of weight," Trump said on Tuesday of Machado. "And it was a real problem. We had a real problem. Not only that - her attitude - and we had a real problem with her."
Clinton continued her attacks on Trump for the comments tweeting out "Donald Trump called her 'Miss Piggy' and 'Miss Housekeeping' her name is Alicia Machado #DebateNight" with a campaign video of Ms. Machado.
Trump, making his first run for public office, praised himself for not attacking Clinton about the marital infidelity of her husband, former President Bill Clinton, during the debate at Hofstra University but said in a Tuesday morning interview with Fox News that he may take up the attack line going forward.
The television audience for debate looks set to approach 80-million viewer record for such events set in 1980, early Nielsen viewership data cited by U.S. media suggested.
There are two more debates scheduled, on Oct. 9 in St. Louis and Oct. 19 in Las Vegas.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None