- Title: FILE: Hollywood stuntman and director Hal Needham has died at the age of 82
- Date: 26th October 2013
- Summary: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HAL NEEDHAM POSING FOR PHOTOS ON CARPET LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - DECEMBER 1, 2012) (REUTERS) NEEDHAM POSING FOR PHOTOS ON CARPET NEEDHAM TALKING TO REPORTER
- Embargoed: 10th November 2013 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts
- Reuters ID: LVA1VMHMJ72VTXK26IN764XKOCHG
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Hal Needham, a stuntman and film director, died at the age of 82 in Los Angeles on Friday (October 25). The cause of Needham's death was not made immediately available.
Born in Memphis in 1931, Needham got his break in the business as a stunt double in the TV western "Have Gun, Will Travel," and provided stunt work in films such as "How the West Was Won," "The War Lord" and "Little Big Man." He frequently served as a stunt double for actor Burt Reynolds.
Needham branched into directing, with 1977's "Smokey and the Bandit," starring Reynolds, with whom he went on to make five more action comedies.
He was given a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Taurus World Stunt Awards in 2001.
Needham received an honorary Oscar by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences in 2012.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None