- Title: FRANCE: Violence intensifies at end of French protest against gay marriage
- Date: 27th May 2013
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 26, 2013) (REUTERS) LINE OF RIOT POLICE PROTESTERS AGAINST BACKDROP OF TEARGAS SHROUDING INVALIDES BUILDING, WHICH HOUSES NAPOLEON'S TOMB CROWD, PLUMES OF TEARGAS RIOT POLICE RETREATING AS PROTESTERS APPROACH RIOT POLICE BLOCKING ROAD LEADING TO PARLIAMENT BUILDING PROTESTERS RUNNING RIOT POLICE ADVANCING POLICE FIRING TEARGAS PROTESTERS MASKED PROTESTERS RUNNING, HURLING TEARGAS PELLETS BACK AT POLICE PROTESTERS WITH FLAG SMOKE, TEARGAS RIOT POLICE THROWING OBJECT INTO CROWD SMOKE PLAINCLOTHES POLICE DRAGGING ARRESTED PROTESTER VARIOUS SMOKE, PROTESTERS PLAINCLOTHES POLICE CARRYING ARRESTED PROTESTER FLARE ON GROUND WOMAN WAVING FLAG IN FRONT OF LINE OF POLICE
- Embargoed: 11th June 2013 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA2Y2QR6A1E0QSFQMG6W6ZGD1KR
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Violence intensfied as night fell on Sunday (May 26) following major protest against gay marriage in France as a group of about 200 youths fought running battles with police, who made repeated baton charges.
A wall of dissipating teargas drifted in front of the historic Invalides building where Napoleon is buried as in the foreground demonstrators played cat-and-mouse with the police. Police say that 150,000 people took part in the main protest on Sunday afternoon, organisers estimated several hundred thousand more.
The images were likely to be a deep embarrassment to the government, which had pledged there would be no fighting at the end of the demonstration and had drafted in more than 4,000 officers to maintain order.
Sunday's was the final demonstration against the controversial law that allows same sex-unions, which was voted onto the statute books late last month.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None