- Title: USA: Barry Manilow resumes his Broadway show after recovering from the flu
- Date: 30th January 2013
- Summary: MANILOW SINGING "COPACABANA" MANILOW SINGING "I WRITE THE SONGS" MANILOW ENDING SHOW MANILOW BOWING AND ACCEPTING FLOWERS ON STAGE CURTAIN GOING DOWN ON MANILOW ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 14th February 2013 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA4KM4SIK83HMPJ76KUBFY3OJJA
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Barry Manilow returns to Broadway after nearly 25 years for a limited 17 show engagement. The singer talked about the show and his recent health battles on the red carpet during opening night.
After being sidelined with bronchitis and then the flu, Barry Manilow makes his return to the stage.
The singer resumed his limited engagement on Broadway on Tuesday (January 29) in New York after having to postpone his official opening night. After the show, Manilow declared his health is on the upswing.
"Much better, I was so concerned that nothing would come out but something came out," he told Reuters.
Although the singer is still on the mend, it was important for him to celebrate opening night at New York's famous nightclub the Copacabana. Which is also the title of one of the 69-year-old's biggest hits.
"That's what we wanted to do. Celebrate the opening night at the Copa."
This is the first time the New York native has performed on Broadway in more than 20 years. This go around the singer tailored his show specifically for his die-hard fans.
"It's basically a greatest hits show and it's a real audience show," said Manilow who closed the show with his classic "I Write the Songs."
As he tried to continue talking about the show he stopped himself saying: "I sound hoarse so I got to shut up. Nice talking to you all."
"Manilow on Broadway" will conclude on February 23.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.