- Title: FILE: Woody Allen to be honored by Golden Globes
- Date: 13th September 2013
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WOODY ALLEN
- Embargoed: 28th September 2013 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA4Z2OPBNFMT7OK8ACWL401TQIJ
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Woody Allen will be honored with the Cecil B. DeMille award for his contribution to cinema, the organizers of the Golden Globe Awards said on Friday (September 13).
The 77-year old director is best known for his 1978 film "Annie Hall" for which he won best director and best screenplay Oscars. He'll receive the award at the annual Golden Globes in January, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) said.
"There is no one more worthy of this award than Woody Allen," said HFPA President Theo Kingma in a statement. "His contributions to filmmaking have been phenomenal and he truly is an international treasure."
Allen has made more than four dozen films in his 58-year career and is known for his trademark neurotic and comedic characters, many played by Allen himself.
He also won Oscars for best original screenplay for 1986's "Hannah and her Sisters" and 2011's "Midnight in Paris."
His current film, "Blue Jasmine," the riches-to-rags story of a mentally ill alcoholic woman, is currently in U.S. cinemas.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None