- Title: BAHRAIN: POLICE AND ANTI WAR PROTESTORS CLASH NEAR THE US EMBASSY
- Date: 22nd March 2003
- Summary: (U4) MANAMA, BAHRAIN (MARCH 22, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) PROTESTERS SHOUTING AT ANTI-RIOT POLICE WHO ARE BLOCKING ROAD TO U.S. EMBASSY SLV RIOT POLICE STANDING IN LINE/ ONE POLICEMAN WITH TEAR GAS CANISTERS ON HIS BELT VARIOUS, PROTESTORS SHOUTING AT POLICE AND TRYING TO ADVANCE FORWARD WIDE/ PAN PROTESTERS THROWING STONES AT POLICE PAN OF POLICEMAN CHASING PROTESTERS SLV SECURITY VEHICLE ARRIVING TO THE AREA WIDE OF PROTESTERS THROWING STONES AND POLICE FIRING TEARGAS (2 SHOTS) VARIOUS, OF PROTESTERS FLEEING, POLICE CHASING THEM IN TRUCK (2 SHOTS) SLV POLICE RUNNING ALONG ROAD TOWARDS PROTESTORS SLV POLICE RUNNING WITH ONE ARRESTED PROTESTOR VARIOUS, POLICE MEN HANDCUFFING PROTESTERS VARIOUS, ANOTHER PROTESTER BEING HELD INSIDE POLICE CAR (2 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 6th April 2003 13:00
- Location: MANAMA, BAHRAIN
- Country: Bahrain
- Topics: Crime,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA64X7MAFOBDKWZ22ADNDGM8H1Y
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Clashes between Bahraini police and anti-U.S.
protesters have erupted after protesters tried to approach the U.S. embassy in Manama to protest at the war on Iraq.
Bahraini police sealed off roads leading to the United States (U.S.) embassy, near Manama the capital on Saturday (March 22), and fired tear gas at stone-throwing students who are angry over the U.S-led war on Iraq.
Anti-riot police armed with tear gas canister launchers confronted the protesters who tried to push their way to the U.S. embassy. At least three protesters were arrested in the encounter.
The U.S and British embassies in Manama were closed on Friday (March 21) because of the growing tensions and security was beefed up around the U.S. embassy.
Just days before the U.S.-led war was launched against Iraq, Bahrain offered president Saddam Hussein and his family safe haven in the kingdom.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None