- Title: JERUSALEM: Israel positions Iron Dome air defence battery
- Date: 8th September 2013
- Summary: JERUSALEM (SEPTEMBER 08, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISRAELI ARMY POSITIONING IRON DOME ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF JERUSALEM VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS AND IRON DOME SOLDIERS DISPLAYING SIGNS SOLDIERS LEAVING SITE
- Embargoed: 23rd September 2013 13:00
- Location: Jerusalem
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflict
- Reuters ID: LVA6SKWPBXBDVWBVYDHLHI6FS35Z
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Israel erected an anti-missile battery on the outskirts of Jerusalem on Sunday (September 8) as a precautionary measure against potential attacks.
Reuters filmed what appeared to be an Iron Dome missile interceptor battery being positioned on the outskirts of Jerusalem. The military declined to comment. "We don't comment on our aerial defences," a spokeswoman said.
Iron Dome's radars, linked with other Israeli surveillance systems, spot rocket launches.
The detection sets off sirens in the town targeted so people can shelter while Iron Dome fires a guided interceptor missile.
While formally on the sidelines of the Syrian crisis, Israel fears coming under reprisals from its northern foe should the United States launch strikes to punish Damascus for alleged use of chemical weaponry.
Israel plans to deploy anti-missile systems and troop reinforcements on its Syrian and Lebanese fronts if U.S. President Barack Obama green-lights strikes against Syria.
Obama has asked Congress to approve strikes against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government in response to a chemical weapons attack on August 21 that killed more than 1,400 Syrians.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None