- Title: USA: "The Stoning of Soraya M" prepares for its cinematic debut in the U.S.
- Date: 18th June 2009
- Summary: VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS (FILE) (MUST COURTESY MPOWER PICTURES/ROADSIDE ATTRACTIONS - NO LIBRARY OR WIRELESS USE) "STONING OF SORAYA M." CLIPS
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2009 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA836VYL495ILW1UAH4LWQJCDSX
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Corruption, secrecy and injustice are at the heart of the powerful film, "The Stoning of Soraya M."
Based on a horrific true story, the film tells of an entire village's persecution of an innocent woman who becomes both a daring act of witness and a parable of mob rule. Academy Award nominee, Shohreh Aghdashloo plays Zahra, a heroic Iranian woman with a dark secret who takes a bold chance to reveal the truth thus begins the journey of Soraya M, a woman whose bad marriage leads her cruel, divorce seeking husband to conspire against her.
Said Aghdashloo "First of all it, was the women's right and how it was being demolished and ignored and second of all, the story itself was so gripping and powerful."
Mohzan Marno, who plays Soraya M talks about the importance of the film.
Said Marno, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere and so this story is important because it is an example, it is a particularly brutal example of a particular kind of injustice and it is important."
Director Cyrus Nowrasteh says at the heart of the film is a human drama, filled with tension and peril but "it is also a true story that I felt strongly had to be told, a story the whole world needs to know."
The "Stoning of Soraya M." opens in theaters across the U.S. on June 26, 2009.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None