- Title: GERMANY: Pro-Israel groups protest against Al Quds Day rally in Berlin
- Date: 18th August 2012
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPOKESPERSON FOR ANTI-FASCIST BERLIN ALLIANCE AGAINST AL QUDS DAY, THOMAS SCHULTE, SAYING: "We think it is important to take to the streets against the Al Quds Day, because we find it unacceptable that people call for the elimination of Israel in the middle of Berlin and we think it is as important to protest against a nazi march as an islamist march and to put something against it."
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2012 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA8QZBR0R5UGMS2U0TWR0FCMUUQ
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Pro-Israel groups formed a counter protest against the Al Quds ('Jerusalem') march in the German capital of Berlin on Saturday (August 18).
Hundreds of people took to the streets to celebrate the Al Quds Day which dates back to the leader of the Iranian revolution, Khomeini, who introduced its celebration on the last day of Ramadan in 1979.
Thomas Schulte, spokesperson of a Berlin alliance against Al Quds Day said it was unacceptable that people would call for the elimination of Israel in the middle of Berlin.
"We think it is as important to protest against a nazi march as an islamist march and to put something against it," said Schulte.
One of the organisers of the Al Quds Day, Juergen Grassmann, said they were marching against the oppressors.
"We support the liberation of Palestine, for the liberation of Palestine. And we also educate the people about Zionism," Grassmann said.
Demonstrations on Al Quds Day are being held in Germany since the 80s. According to police both rallies went on without disruptions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.