- Title: USA: TENNIS: Andy Murray hoists trophy after U.S. Open win
- Date: 11th September 2012
- Summary: BAGPIPER PLAYING IN RECEPTION FOR MURRAY MURRAY ARRIVING FOR RECEPTION IN HONOR OF HIS WIN IN THE U.S. OPEN MURRAY AT RECEPTION
- Embargoed: 26th September 2012 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA9AXDMU7MC930KZXWJVX92TDKW
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Andy Murray is basking in U.S. Open glory.
The 25-year-old Scot brought his new trophy to New York's Central Park on Tuesday (September 11) to pose for photographers and camera crews before attending a reception in his honor at the home of the British Consul-General to New York.
Murray captured the Men's U.S. Open title in a thrilling five-set match on Monday (September 10) night against Novak Djokovic.
The victory was the first major win for Murray, and it also broke the long drought for Britain, which has not had a major-winning player since Fred Perry in 1936.
Murray, a naturally shy, introverted man, has carried the weight of expectation since the moment he emerged as the potential drought-breaker.
In 2010, Murray cried when he lost the Australian Open final to Roger Federer and he sobbed again when he lost to the Swiss master at Wimbledon in July.
But on Monday, under the bright lights of New York City's national tennis center, he shed tears of joy as the heavy burden was lifted from his shoulders with a rousing 7-6 7-5 2-6 3-6 6-2 victory.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.