- Title: USA: ANTI- FUR PROTESTORS STEAL SHOW DURING NEW YORK FASHION WEEK
- Date: 26th February 2004
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MODELS ON BILL BLASS RUNWAY (L!1)NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FEBRUARY 9, 2004) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MODELS ON RUNWAY AT OSCAR DE LA RENTA (2.56)
- Embargoed: 12th March 2004 12:00
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA9FM8ZBTTPEVBAVXCZKR3ILBJ
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Fur protestors stole the show during Fashion Week in New York on Tuesday.
PETA or People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals staged a silent protest against designers using fur in their collections on Tuesday (February 10, 2004) at New York Fashion show.
Volunteers sprawled on the steps of the tents at Bryant Park with paint splattered on their faces and outfits, alongside fake animals stripped of their fur. The protest attracted plenty of attention from the media and visitors to the tents alike.
PETA spokeswoman Lisa Franzetta spoke of the aim behind the protest.
"We are hoping that fur wearers might have a change of heart if they put themselves in the shoes of the foxes and minx wolves and coyotes who are violently killed for the sake of their coats. The catwalk should not look like a crime scene."
Inside the tents, the models prepared for the Bill Blass show that included lots of fur.
Designer Michael Vollbracht spoke of the woman for whom he designed the collection: "Very rich, very secure. A woman who has some intelligence, which is always the best kind of woman, yes?"
On the runway at Bill Blass, there were plenty of jungle print outfits, gold sequinned dresses and heavily embroidered evening gowns. Colours that dominated Bill Blass's look for Fall 2004 included lots of amber, wine, and fawn, with some olive and black thrown in.
The other luxury designer who showed his collection on Monday (February 9), at the tents at Bryant Park was Oscar de la Renta, who's clothes had a quirky elegance. The key shape is a narrow jacket and full skirt, with lots of wool and tweed fabrics.
Both Oscar de la Renta and Bill Blass runway shows are part of New York Fashion Week, which runs until Friday 13th 2004.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.