- Title: GERMANY: FANS ENJOY MADONNA'S FIRST CONCERT IN GERMANY IN TEN YEARS
- Date: 19th June 2001
- Summary: SMV SOUNDBITE (English) FEMALE MADONNA FAN SAYING:"The world revolves around Madonna. She is more powerful than half the politicians in the world." PAN TO ANOTHER FEMALE MADONNA FAN SAYING:"Madonna should be the next president of the United States, a lot better than Bush." SLV WOMEN STANDING AROUND SMV OUTH WALKING PAST SAYING "I LOVE MADONNA!" VARIOUS, CROWD WAITING IN LINE TO GO INTO THE CONCERT (3 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 4th July 2001 13:00
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA9YCU0KAPJQAF2YGG22DTSFO6X
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: U.S. pop superstar Madonna has performed on a German stage for the first time after a decade-long break.
Close to 11,000 fans attended Madonna's first German concert in Berlin Tuesday night (June 19). Screaming "Come on Berlin!" the diva of pop stormed onto the stage thirty minutes late but fans still welcomed her enthusiastically.
Tuesday's concert was the first of four Madonna is scheduled to hold in Berlin. For 90 minutes she performed songs from her albums "Ray of Light" and "Music" and also played some of her early hits such as "La Isla Bonita" and "Frozen."
One fan coming from abroad said he had paid 3,000 German marks (USD 1,315) to see his hero sing. "You just got to go!," he said. Another follower had less flattering words for the American singer: "I was disappointed. There used to be a lot more action about Madonna. This was some kind of senior citizen gathering."
The singer's performance in Berlin is part of Madonna's "Drowned World" show which kicked off in Barcelona.
Her concert in Berlin is the only performance in Germany after plans to start her Germany tour in Cologne were scrapped.
From Berlin Madonna will travel to Paris with her 200 assistants. No more tickets are available for her entire world tour of 48 concerts across Europe and the United States.
"Drowned World"in Los Angeles on September 14.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None