- Title: ITALY: MILAN FASHION WEEK
- Date: 23rd September 2002
- Summary: (EUROPE) MILAN, ITALY (SEPTEMBER 23, 2002) (REUTERS) BACKSTAGE AT LUCIANO SOPRANI FASHION HOUSE SHOW
- Embargoed: 8th October 2002 13:00
- Location: MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Arts
- Reuters ID: LVAA9CHBUHB60EFB53VTAF9W7NZL
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The global fashion show spotlight has moved to Milan as Italian fashion houses Luciano Soprani and Clips inaugurated catwalks with spring/summer 2003 collections, giving a raincoated audience a taste of next year's romantic evenings on a hot beachfront.
Luciano Soprani, an Italian label better known in Asia than at home, took its traditional spot on Monday (September 23, 2002) as the first of almost 100 Milan shows that will dictate next year's look.
Luxurious silks and smooth cotton jersey were wrapped, pinned and tied around models bodies for a sleek, simple but stylish look that would take you from beach to bar with not a shower in between.
Designer Alessandro Turci, who took over the label earlier this year, mixed tight white bandeau bras with drifting cheesecloth skirts or off-the-shoulder satin crepe tops with microskirts that would cover little more than your bikini bottom.
For those with a complex about their curves, strappy T-shirts had a longer flap down the back while aquamarine silk organza was wrapped simply around the body into a hide-all halterneck evening -- or beach -- dress.
And while last year's craze for floaty chiffon had its place, it was that much neater, cut loose on the body but in single layers of primrose yellow or russet, just see-through enough to spy tattoos on the occasional model's bottom.
A seaside mood wafted through the Clips collection that also went on the catwalk on Monday, as pale beige silk and loose-weave lace were simply a canvas for smatterings of turquoise beads and coral, picked from the Bay of Naples.
The beauty of summer is as much what you uncover as what you cover, according to Clips designer Daniela Carano.
Beads and sequins splashed across the body like solid seaspray, decorating long evening dresses, tiny bum-freezer shorts or a catsuit The Avengers star Diana Rigg could happily wear to a beach party.
See-through lace vests and caramel suede trousers, or ivory satin pencil skirts worn with a 1980s Madonna-style pointy bra were all worn over perilous strappy stilettos with American Indian turquoise or coral brooches at the ankle.
Fashion week runs until October 1 with the heavy hitters like Armani, Versace and Dolce & Gabbana striding onto the catwalk from Friday.
Also on the calendar are Christian Lacroix's first show for the swirly house of Pucci, Missoni's 50th anniversary show and a visit by the dark-eyed and impeccably dressed Queen Rania of Jordan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None