- Title: USA: O.J. Simpson granted parole on some charges, will stay in prison
- Date: 31st July 2013
- Summary: LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES (FILE- MAY 15, 2013) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) VARIOUS OF O.J. SIMPSON IN COURT DURING HEARING FOR NEW TRIAL
- Embargoed: 15th August 2013 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVACE9ZQ2BQS6GBUGP4EHB5TNDVK
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: O.J. Simpson was granted parole in Nevada on several charges related to his role in the robbery of two sports memorabilia dealers, but the former football star will remain in prison on other charges, the state Board of Parole Commissioners ruled on Wednesday (July 31).
Simpson was sentenced in 2008 to up to 33 years in prison in the case.
The board said it was granting Simpson parole on charges of kidnapping, robbery and burglary with a firearm because of his positive conduct while in prison, his participation in programs for inmates, his lack of prior convictions and the fact that he has other sentences to serve that will keep him in prison.
Simpson, 66, asked for parole from Lovelock Correctional Facility during a video conference with a parole commissioner last week. It was his first request for parole since he was sentenced in 2008.
He is serving consecutive sentences and still needs to serve time for assault with a deadly weapon and other charges related to an incident at a Las Vegas hotel in 2007.
At that time, Simpson and five other men entered a room at the Palace Station Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas and at gun point took thousands of dollars worth of memorabilia related to his career from a pair of sports collectors.
If Simpson were successful in future parole requests, he would not be released from prison before 2017, said David Smith, a spokesman for the Nevada Board of Parole Commissioners.
In 1995, Simpson was acquitted in California of two counts of murder in the stabbing and slashing deaths of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman. He later lost a wrongful death case brought by Goldman's family.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None