- Title: Anti-Trump posters held up during Palestinian protest for prisoners
- Date: 22nd May 2017
- Summary: QALANDIA, WEST BANK (MAY 22, 2017) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS MARCHING IN PROTEST TOWARDS QALANDIA CHECKPOINT IN SUPPORT OF PALESTINIAN PRISONERS WHO ARE ON HUNGER STRIKE VARIOUS OF PROTESTER HOLDING UP POSTER DEPICTING U.S. PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP IN A RED CIRCLE WITH SHOE-PRINT ON HIS FACE, READING (Arabic): "THE AMERICAN POLICY IS A SHAME FOR HUMANITY, THE VISIT OF TRUMP IS AN ILLUSION AND A BREACH OF THE PALESTINIAN RIGHTS' VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS FIRING TEAR GAS AT PROTESTERS TEAR GAS DISPERSING DURING PROTEST VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS FLEEING ISRAELI SOLDIERS ON ROOFTOP MEDICAL CREW MOVING INJURED BOY DURING CLASHES SOLDIER FIRING TEAR GAS PALESTINIAN THROWING STONES AT SOLDIERS SOLDIERS FIRING TEAR GAS PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS FLEEING WOMAN COVERING HER FACE AS TEAR GAS DISPERSING PROTESTERS AT SCENE MORE OF CLASHES MEDICAL CREW MOVING INJURED BOY TO AN AMBULANCE MORE OF CLASHES
- Embargoed: 5th June 2017 13:57
- Keywords: US President Donald Trump Israeli soldiers clashes at Qalandia Palestinians
- Location: QALANDIA, WEST BANK
- City: QALANDIA, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016HX5Q2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Palestinian protesters clashed with Israeli soldiers near the Qalandia checkpoint in the occupied West Bank on Monday (May 22) and held anti-U.S. President Donald Trump posters during a demonstration in support of Palestinian hunger-striking prisoners held in Israeli jails.
The posters depicted a picture of Trump with a shoe print on his face, reading: 'The American policy is a shame for humanity, The visit of Trump is an illusion and a breach of Palestinian rights.'
After marching towards the checkpoint that is situated between Ramallah and Jerusalem, the protesters threw stones at Israeli soldiers who responded by firing tear gas.
According to the Palestinian Red Crescent, the soldiers also fired rubber bullets and used live ammunition.
An Israeli army spokeswoman said that about 100 Palestinians began rolling burning tyres and hurling rocks at security forces at the Qalandiia checkpoint. They used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the crowd but no live ammunition was used, she said.
Hundreds of Palestinians in Israeli jails went on hunger strike last month to protest poor conditions and an Israeli policy of detention without trial that has been applied against thousands since the 1980s.
Trump, arrived in Israel earlier on Monday for a visit in which he hopes to revive peace talks frozen since 2014.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None