- Title: Tom Cruise confirms Top Gun sequel
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - APRIL 10, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CRUISE BEING INTERVIEWED AT 'OBLIVION' PREMIERE
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 01:05
- Keywords: reports sequel Top Gun Tom Cruise
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026I74I8D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Tom Cruise still feels the need for speed, as the actor said in an interview on Tuesday (May 23) that a sequel to his 1986 military action film "Top Gun" is "definitely happening."
Cruise, currently promoting his latest film "The Mummy," was speaking on the Wednesday edition of Australia's morning TV show "Sunrise" when he was asked by the host if rumors of "Top Gun 2" were true.
"It's true, it's true," the actor said, grinning as he added, "I'm going to start filming it probably in the next year. It's happening."
Cruise plays the cocky Maverick in "Top Gun," one of the top students in an U.S. training camp for elite military fighter pilots and engaged in a bitter rivalry with a fellow pilot played by Val Kilmer.
The Paramount Pictures film launched Cruise's career as a global action star and grossed more than $350 million globally, according to film tracker BoxOfficeMojo.com.
Representatives for Paramount Pictures declined to comment to Reuters on whether the studio is involved with the sequel.
"Top Gun" producer Jerry Bruckheimer tweeted a photo with Cruise last week, captioning it as the 31st anniversary of the opening day of "Top Gun."
In January 2016, Bruckheimer teased "Top Gun" fans by tweeting "Just got back from a weekend in New Orleans to see my old friend @TomCruise and discuss a little Top Gun 2."
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None