- Title: Clashes outside Manchester's Arndale Centre after evacuation
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE CORDON OUTSIDE THE MANCHESTER ARNDALE SHOPPING CENTRE POLICE STANDING OUTSIDE ENTRANCE TO MANCHESTER ARNDALE POLICE CORDON, BEHIND POLICE TAPE (SOUNDBITE) (English) STUDENT, RAIDRAIG CURRAN, SAYING: "When they first started evacuating people, people were coming out sprinting, running and screaming going up there. It was just a real sense of panic and not nice." (SOUNDBITE) (English) STUDENT, ISABELLE TIMMINS, SAYING: "Just panic really, I was out last night as well so I was out when all the things happened last night so it's a bit weird for me being out and stuff so, everyone's on edge and stuff, it's not a nice feeling." (SOUNDBITE) (English) POLICEMAN TALKING TO MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC HOLDING FLAGS SAYING: "All you're doing at the moment is aggravating." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC SAYING: "No matter what the colour of their skin is, we're not going to stand with people like you, we're going to stick together, because together we're stronger and the people of Manchester are not going to be afraid [unintelligible] responsible for this violence." POLICE TALKING TO CROWD OF PEOPLE MANCHESTER ARNDALE ENTRANCE CLOSED SHOP WITH SHUTTER DOWN SIGN READING: "MANCHESTER ARDALE" PEOPLE LOOKING OUT OF SHOP WINDOW / POLICEMAN AND OTHER MAN STANDING OUTSIDE POLICE CORDON OUTSIDE MANCHESTER ARNDALE
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 13:05
- Keywords: clashes EDL evacuated Manchester Arndale attack Ariana Grande Manchester Arena Manchester
- Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I2875Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A major shopping centre in the northern English city of Manchester was closed after it was temporarily evacuated on Tuesday (May 23).
A Reuters witness reported scores of people running from the Manchester Arndale shopping centre, with some saying they had heard a big bang.
Police said they arrested a man, but do not believe the incident was connected with the attack at Manchester Arena on Monday, which killed at least 22 people and wounded 59 when a suicide bomber struck as thousands of fans streamed out of a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for Monday's deadly attack and said it was carried out with an explosive device planted at the concert, according to a statement the group posted on Telegram.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None