- Title: Tight security at Vatican and in Rome ahead of Trump visit
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) ROAD LEADING UP TO VATICAN CLOSED BY BARRIER POLICE AND POLICE CARS OUTSIDE ST. PETER'S SQUARE POLICE STANDING NEAR ST. PETER'S SQUARE ARMED SOLDIER AND MILITARY VEHICLE NEAR SQUARE VARIOUS OF ARMED SOLDIERS WATCHING STREET POLICE NEXT TO VEHICLES AS TOURISTS STREAM BY SIGN ANNOUNCING ROAD CLOSURE ON MAY 23-24 (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ITALIAN STUDENT, STEFANO SALVATORE, SAYING: "A U.S. President who comes to visit Rome is a good thing." (SOUNDBITE) (English) AMERICAN TOURIST FROM BOSTON, GIOVANNI MOTTALA, SAYING: "Honestly, I think if the president doesn't say anything foolish he should be ok." EXTERIOR OF PRESIDENT PALACE POLICE AND POLICE CARS OUTSIDE PALACE STATUE WITH ITALIAN FLAG FLYING IN BACKGROUND ARMED SOLDIERS NEXT TO VEHICLE EXTERIOR OF AMERICAN EMBASSY ARMED SOLDIERS OUTSIDE EMBASSY AMERICAN FLAG FLYING OUTSIDE EMBASSY CARABINIERI MILITARY POLICE OUTSIDE EMBASSY AMERICAN AMBASSADOR'S RESIDENCE AT VILLA TAVERNA ARMED SOLDIERS ON GUARD OUTSIDE RESIDENCE BARRICADE CLOSING ROAD TO VILLA TORLONIA / VEHICLES ON OTHER SIDE TRAFFIC MOVING ON OTHER SIDE OF BARRICADE
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 11:28
- Keywords: American embassy American residence Pope Vatican presidential palace security U.S. President Donald Trump
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I26KP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tight security was in place around the Vatican and the Italian capital on Tuesday (May 23) ahead of the arrival of U.S. President Donald Trump.
Increased police and military presence was seen around St. Peter's square and Rome's historical centre.
Roads were blocked around Villa Taverna, the American ambassador's residence where Trump will sleep.
Heavy security presence was also seen at the Quirinale Palace where Trump will meet Italian President Sergio Mattarella and Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni.
Trump will visit Pope Francis on Wednesday morning (May 24) at 0630 gmt and will also be treated to a visit of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican.
So far demonstrations have been banned in the centre of Rome. A small demonstration is expected later in the evening at Piazza Bologna, some 4 kilometres (2.5 miles) away from where Trump and his entourage will be staying.
The American President is due to arrive in Italy in the early evening following his visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None