- Title: Russian attacked by angry mob recovering in Cancun, one man is dead
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: MAN WHO LATER DIED BEING PUT INTO BACK OF AMBULANCE BY PARAMEDICS RED CROSS PARAMEDICS AT HOME
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 03:30
- Keywords: mob attack Cancun death Mexico racist insults hospital Russia Russian citizen
- Location: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- City: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0026I250MB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: ATTENTION EDITORS: VISUAL COVERAGE OF SCENES OF INJURY OR DEATH
Authorities in Mexico have launched an investigation after an angry mob attacked a Russian man in the Caribbean resort of Cancun with sticks and rocks over his repeated insults against locals, resulting in the death of one individual in the melee, officials reported.
Police rescued a Russian national, identified as Aleksei Makeev, after the crowd stormed his apartment on Friday (May 19), authorities reported.
Blurry footage of the attack circulated widely on Mexican media on Saturday (May 20). In one clip, assailants can be heard shouting "You're going to die" and "I'm going to cut your head off" as they closed in on the Russian man.
The Russian national has reportedly been in Mexico since 2014 and was offered permanent residence on humanitarian grounds.
But he soon became a local nuisance due to his alleged verbal attacks on Mexicans that he would upload onto social media.
Police at the scene of the attack and those citizens who took part will be under investigation.
As the violence in Makeev's home unfolded, the Russian citizen reportedly stabbed a youth who got into his apartment, prompting the mob to grow and the violence to escalate, officials reported.
The youth later died of his injuries. Makeev, who was taken to hospital for treatment, is being held there under protective custody, the official said.
Makeev has since regained consciousness in hospital and is recovering from the attack.
Mexico is reportedly seeking contact with Russian authorities to deport the foreign national.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None