- Title: Locals fear unrest at G7 host city as EU leaders arrive
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY (MAY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) VIEW OF SEAFRONT IN GIARDINI NAXOS BUILDINGS ALONG SEAFRONT LOCALS BOARDING UP SHOP FRONT / BOARDED UP SHOP FRONTS TARPAULIN PULLED OVER SHOP WINDOW VARIOUS OF MAN CARRYING LARGE BOARD TO SHOP FRONT LOCAL RESIDENTS LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) LOCAL RESIDENT, NATALE STURNIOLO, SAYING: "(We are doing this) as a precaution. You just never know and at least we are ready should anything happen. But let's hope nothing serious does." VARIOUS OF ELDERLY LOCALS ON SEAFRONT BOARDWALK COUPLE STROLLING ALONG VARIOUS OF MEN COVERING UP SHOP FRONTS WOMAN CLOSING SHUTTERS IN FRONT OF BOARDED UP SHOP
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 20:27
- Keywords: Jean-Claude Juncker Donald Tusk EU leaders tension residents expecting protests Italy G7 summit
- Location: GIARDINI NAXOS, SIGONELLA AND TAORMINA, ITALY
- City: GIARDINI NAXOS, SIGONELLA AND TAORMINA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: G7,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IC9LC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of Italy's picturesque seaside resort Giardini Naxos were boarding up their shop fronts and taking precautionary measures on Thursday (May 25) in anticipation of protests against this year's Group of Seven (G7) Summit.
Leaders of the world's seven major industrialised nations are set to take part in the two-day meeting, in nearby Taormina, on the cliffs of eastern Sicily.
Shop owners on the narrow streets of the town installed wooden boards and used metal shutters to protect their businesses at the end of their working day on Thursday. Thousands are expected to gather in Giardini Naxos on Saturday (May 27) afternoon to join a protest march against the two-day meeting.
Among the leaders arriving for the summit on Thursday were European Council President Donald Tusk and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.
U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to arrive for the summit later in the evening.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None