- Title: Oxfam "stunt" urges G7 leaders to keep Trump, US in Paris climate accord
- Date: 26th May 2017
- Summary: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) SEA WITH TAORMINA, VENUE OF G7 SUMMIT, ON A HILL IN BACKGROUND GIARDINI NAXOS PANORAMA WITH TAORMINA ON HILL TAORMINA ON HILL ABOVE GIARDINI NAXOS SECURITY BOAT PATROLLING SEA EMPTY BEACH WITH BOATS ON SHORE OXFAM ACTIVISTS MASKED AS LEADERS OF G7 COUNTRIES PERFORMING STUNT ACT AT SEAFRONT MOCK-UP UNITED KINGDOM PRIME MINISTER THERESA MAY AND MOCK UP CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER JUSTIN TRUDEAU CALLING ON MOCK UP U.S. PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP TO JOIN THE OTHER 6 LEADERS TO JOIN THEM, SAYING (English) "Come, come" MOCK-UP DONALD TRUMP SITTING MOCK-UP GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL STUNT IN PROGRESS MOCK-UP FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON SAYING (English) â€œYou need to come to Paris." STUNT AT IN PROGRESS MOCK-UP DONALD TRUMP WEARING HAT WITH QUESTION MARKS ROAD SIGN READING" Paris Agreement" VARIOUS OF MOCK UP LEADERS POINTING AT DIRECTION OF PARIS MOCK-UP LEADERS STANDING BY SEA MOCK-UP DONALD TRUMP SITTING AND LOOKING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION FROM OTHER LEADERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPOKESMAN FOR OXFAM, ERIC MUNOZ, SAYING: "Donald Trump, President Trump has called into question the US commitment to the Paris agreement, a historic agreement in which 195 countries have charted a new path to towards adjusting climate change. The other G6 leaders need to stand strong, they need to stand firm and and they need to ensure that the communique and the outcomes from this summit are a clear reaffirmation of the Paris agreement and the way forward in implementing that agreement." MOCK-UP ITALIAN PRIME MINISTER PAOLO GENTILONI, GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL AND JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE PULLING DONALD TRUMP BY ARM, TRUMP SITTING REFUSING TO MOVE CLOSE VIEW OF TRUMP'S FACE WITH A HAT WITH QUESTION MARKS ON IT SIX MOCK-UP G6 LEADERS PULLING TRUMP BY ARM, MOCK UP TRUMP SITTING AND REFUSING TO MOVE
- Embargoed: 9th June 2017 10:47
- Keywords: activists Italy summit G7
- Location: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY
- City: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: G7,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IH5A9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Oxfam, a global humanitarian relief organization on Friday (May 26) urged G7 leaders meeting in Taormina, Sicily, to press U.S. President Donald Trump against backing out of a key agreement on climate.
Packaged as a "stunt" a few kilometres away from the fenced-off conference, the act targets Trump's electoral campaign promise to pull his country out of the October, 2016 agreement which world's countries had been working toward for years in a bid to reduce the danger of industry-driven global warming.
In the act, mock-up G7 leaders are loitering at a signpost showing the way to the Paris agreement. The leaders are trying to persuade a seated, reluctant Trump to follow the path to the accord.
Launched in Great Britain in 1942 as an effort to fight famine in the world, today Oxfam is a global alliance of 20 organizations in 90 countries and a major provider of relief in humanitarian crises. G7 groups the world's leading economies: United States, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, France, Italy and Canada.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None