- Title: Iraqi forces launch operation to seize last Islamic State enclave in Mosul
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: AL-ZINJILI DISTRICT, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ (MAY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) HELICOPTER BOMBING AND FIRING FLARES / AUDIO OF HEAVY BOMBING AREA IN AL-ZINJILI DISTRICT/ AUDIO OF HEAVY GUNFIRE SOLDIER PREPARING LAUNCHER TO FIRE MORTAR / AUDIO OF HEAVY SHELLING RAPID RESPONSE MEMBER PLACING MORTAR ROUND IN LAUNCHER / AUDIO OF HEAVY GUNFIRE AND SHELLING/ MORTAR FIRING RAPID RESPONSE MEMBER FIRING MORTAR/ AUDIO OF HEAVY GUNFIRE AND SHELLING WHITE CLOUD OF SMOKE RISING WRECKAGE OF CARS AND RUBBLE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COMMANDER OF 2ND BRIGADE, RAPID RESPONSE UNITS, BRIGADIER GENERAL MAHDI ABBAS, SAYING: "Today at four in the morning forces of the Rapid Response Division started operations to recapture al-Zinjili district. Operations are going on now to recapture and clear the area. We killed a large number of Daesh terrorist members and detonated a number of car bombs." VARIOUS OF HUMVEES TRAVELLING DOWN STREET RAPID RESPONSE MEMBERS RUNNING IN STREET RAPID RESPONSE MEMBER CARRYING DRONE DRONE FLYING / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE GROUP OF RAPID RESPONSE MEMBERS CONTROLLING DRONE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RAPID RESPONSE SOLDIER, ALI ABDULLAH, SAYING: "Rapid response forces advanced today into al-Zinjili district. We managed to break their (Islamic State) defences and we entered some 500 metres inside the district. Morale is high and we will keep advancing and God willing we will fully recapture the district today or tomorrow." FEDERAL POLICE MEMBERS NEAR HUMVEE IN STREET FEDERAL POLICE MEMBERS STANDING IN STREET COVERED BY SPENT BULLET CASINGS STREET COVERED BY RUBBLE / MILITARY VEHICLES DOWN IN STREET / SOUND OF EXPLOSION
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 19:01
- Keywords: fighting enclave government troops Islamic State operation Mosul
- Location: AL-ZINJILI DISTRICT, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: AL-ZINJILI DISTRICT, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IM5PVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi armed forces launched an operation on Saturday (May 27) to capture the last Islamic State-held enclave in Mosul, according to a military statement.
The Iraqi air force dropped leaflets on Friday urging residents in the enclave to flee, although humanitarian groups fear for the safety of civilians trying to escape.
The enclave covers mainly the Old City centre and three adjacent districts alongside the western bank of the Tigris River.
The U.S.-backed offensive on Mosul, now in its eighth month, has taken longer than planned as the militants are dug in among civilians, fighting back with booby traps, suicide cars and motor-bikes, snipers and mortar fire.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None