- Title: Palestinians mark 'Nakba' Day in West Bank and Gaza
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (MAY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HUNDREDS OF PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS MARCHING IN STREET, WAVING PALESTINIAN FLAGS ISRAELI MILITARY VEHICLE DRIVING TOWARDS PROTESTERS, FIRING TEAR GAS ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES FIRING TEAR GAS PROTESTERS FLEEING / TEAR GAS SMOKE TRAIL IN AIR ISRAELI MILITARY VEHICLE DRIVING AND FIRING TEAR GAS / MEDIA FILMING ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES NEAR BARRIER ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES FIRING TEAR GAS / SMOKE RISING IN DISTANCE ISRAELI MILITARY FORCES WALKING TOWARDS BURNING TYRES AND EXTINGUISHING FIRE GARBAGE BINS BURNING IN MIDDLE OF THE ROAD / PROTESTERS SEEN IN BACKGROUND ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES FIRING TEAR GAS TOWARDS PROTESTERS / BURNING GARBAGE BINS SEPARATING THE TWO SIDES VARIOUS OF CLASHES / ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES FIRING TEAR GAS / PROTESTERS RUNNING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS THROWING ROCKS TOWARDS ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (MAY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS PUSHING GARBAGE BIN ON ROAD MASKED PALESTINIAN PROTESTER AMBULANCES DRIVING PAST PROTESTERS / SMOKE BILLOWING VARIOUS OF ISRAELI VEHICLE SPRAYING FOUL SMELLING LIQUID ON PROTESTERS YOUTHS THROWING ROCKS VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS NEAR VEHICLE VARIOUS OF PROTESTING PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS ISRAELI SOLDIERS WOUNDED PERSON BEING CARRIED AWAY ON STRETCHER ISRAELI SOLDIERS PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS BEHIND BARRIER THROWING ROCKS / DARK SMOKE RISING ISRAELI VEHICLE SPRAYING FOUL SMELLING LIQUID ON PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 13:56
- Keywords: violence clashes demosntrations Gaza West Bank Nakba Day Palestinians Israel
- Location: BETHLEHEM, RAMALLAH, NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: BETHLEHEM, RAMALLAH, NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GY9553
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians across the West Bank and Gaza on Monday (May 15) marked "Nakba" day, commemorating what they term "the catastrophe" of Israel's founding in the 1948 war, when hundreds of thousands of their brethren fled or were forced to leave their homes.
In the West Bank city of Bethlehem and near Ramallah, hundreds of youths clashes with Israeli security forces. In Ramallah city, people stood still as a siren was heard.
In Gaza, dozens of youths marched holding flags and symbolic keys representing houses from which their ancestors fled in 1948.
The refugees that fled during the 1948 war and their descendants now number around five million. Many live as refugees in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, often in squalid camps. Refugees cling to a "right of return" and their fate is one of the thorniest issues in efforts to create a Palestinian state.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None