- Title: FILE-Spain prosecutor accuses Falcao, Coentrao of hiding millions
- Date: 16th May 2017
- Summary: LA TURBIE, FRANCE (FILE - MARCH 14, 2017) (REUTERS) FORWARD RADAMEL FALCAO ARRIVING PLAYERS STANDING AROUND FALCAO WARMING UP LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - SEPTEMBER 13, 2016) (REUTERS) INTERIOR OF WEMBLEY STADIUM MONACO FORWARD RADAMEL FALCAO LOOKING UP AT THE STADIUM FALCAO TRAINING MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - FEBRUARY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) PLAYERS WARMING UP ON PITCH FABIO COENTRAO JOKING WITH CASEMIRO MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - APRIL 14, 2017) (REUTERS) LEFT BACK FABIO COENTRAO AND RIGHT BACK CHASING THE BALL AS PLAYERS PASS THE BALL / STRIKER CRISTIANO RONALDO AND PLAYERS JOKING RONALDO AND COENTRAO CHASING THE BALL, MIDFIELDER LUKA MODRIC AND PLAYERS PASSING THE BALL
- Embargoed: 30th May 2017 13:48
- Keywords: Radamel Falcao Fabio Coentrao La Liga tax evasion
- Location: LA TURBIE, FRANCE / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / MADRID, SPAIN
- City: LA TURBIE, FRANCE / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H39DMN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Spanish prosecutor in Madrid said on Tuesday (May 16) it had filed a lawsuit against soccer players Radamel Falcao and Fabio Coentrao, accusing them of hiding almost 7 million euros ($7.7 million) from the tax office between 2012 and 2014.
Falcao, a Colombian who used to play for Atletico Madrid, has been accused of failing to properly declare a total of around 5.6 million euros earned from image rights during his time at the club.
The Colombian now plays in the French league for Monaco, having signed for the club in the summer of 2013 with a couple of loan deals to the Premier League in the interim.
Portugal's Coentrao, who plays for Real Madrid, is accused of failing to correctly declare almost 1.3 million euros, also earnings from image rights.
Real Madrid declined to comment. Neither Atletico or the two players' agents were not available for comment.
($1 = 0.9044 euros)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None