- Title: World's heaviest man discharged from hospital after bypass in Mexico
- Date: 17th May 2017
- Summary: FRANCO PLAYING GUITAR AND SINGING TO DOCTOR
- Embargoed: 31st May 2017 22:32
- Keywords: discharge hospital bypass surgery Mexico Guadalajara reportedly most obese man Juan Pedro Franco
- Location: GUADALAJARA, JALISCO, MEXICO
- City: GUADALAJARA, JALISCO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0026H89A9V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The man believed to be the world's heaviest is preparing to be discharged from hospital on Wednesday (May 17) following potentially life-saving biliopancreatic bypass surgery in Mexico, medical officials reported.
According to local media, thirty-three-year-old Juan Pedro Franco - who has weighed up to 595 kilos (1,311 pounds) - was admitted to hospital for the surgery after a diet to help shed some weight was not enough to allay health concerns.
The surgery took place on May 9 and he has since been kept in hospital under observation. So far, his recovery has proven successful and he has been placed on a strict diet.
But with the patient's obesity levels still dramatically high, threats to Franco's health such as diabetes, heart attack and organ failure will remain a problem until his excess weight is shed.
According to the World Health Organisation, Mexico is a global leader in obesity with 35 percent of its adolescents overweight or obese.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.