- Title: Socialist Collomb takes over reigns at French interior ministry
- Date: 17th May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) OFFICIALS GATHERED IN COURTYARD OUTSIDE FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTRY OUTGOING FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, MATTHIAS FEKL, WALKING WITH INCOMING FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, GERARD COLLOMB / FEKL AND COLLOMB SHAKING HANDS BEFORE ENTERING INTERIOR MINISTRY OFFICIALS STANDING FEKL AND COLLOMB LEAVING INTERIOR MINISTRY, APPROACHING MICROPHONES (SOUNDBITE) (French) INCOMING FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, GERARD COLLOMB, SAYING: "We all know today that Europe, and especially France, are the targets of terrorists. And so I am aware that by arriving here my first duty will be to do everything to protect our citizens." REPUBLICAN GUARD STANDING NEXT TO FRENCH AND EUROPEAN FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (French) INCOMING FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, GERARD COLLOMB, SAYING: "I want them (the people of France) to have confidence, once again, in the future of our country, to bring France together, to make sure that each and every man and woman feel as though they are wholly part of this nation. That will be my mission, as interior minister." FEKL AND COLLOMB SHAKING HANDS OFFICIALS APPLAUDING FRENCH FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 31st May 2017 16:32
- Keywords: French government Edouard Philippe Emmanuel Macron Gerard Collomb Matthias Fekl Interior Minister
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H89LC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Socialist Gerard Collomb took over power at the French Interior Ministry on Wednesday (May 17) from outgoing minister Matthias Fekl.
A popular senator and mayor of Lyon, France's second-biggest city, Collomb is part of the centrist tendency of the Socialist party. He has never been a minister during his 40-year political career, but is named number two in the government protocol.
He was one of French President Emmanuel Macron's first close allies and vocal supporters among leading Socialists. He has been a staunch advocate of cross-party cooperation in running his city.
His priority in Lyon was initially focused on strengthening security. As interior minister, he will now be in charge of coordinating France's response to internal security threats including from Islamist militants who have carried out attacks on French soil.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None