- Title: France's Macron, Tusk begin work on European overhaul
- Date: 17th May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, WALKING DOWN STAIRS AT FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL PALACE STAFF MEMBER WAITING MACRON AND EUROPEAN COUNCIL PRESIDENT, DONALD TUSK, ARRIVING FOR STATEMENT (SOUNDBITE) (English) EUROPEAN COUNCIL PRESIDENT, DONALD TUSK, SAYING: "Europe needs your energy, your imagination and your courage. And when I say Europe I am not thinking about the institutions or bureaucracy, but about millions of Europeans who see your victory as a sign of hope." (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "I want to repeat here how important the European project is to me, my will to work with the European institutions and to bring all my efforts to the European mission to galvanize all its tasks as much as possible and I count on President Tusk and his leadership to go even further in this effort of overhaul and a new European ambition to be triggered, which I want to carry with other European leaders." MACRON AND TUSK LEAVING ROOM
- Embargoed: 31st May 2017 20:39
- Keywords: EU European Council President Donald Tusk French President Emmanuel Macron
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H8AS07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French President Emmanuel Macron said on Wednesday (May 17) that he would begin working immediately with European Council President Donald Tusk on the overhaul of the bloc, which needed a new and ambitious policy.
Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, chairs EU summits as head of the European Council, which groups the national governments of the 28-member bloc.
He told the new French president his election was a "sign of hope" for Europe.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None